Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunks & Chips

trout1
trout1 Posts: 104
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
On some post I have read where some suggest after you add the wood to the Egg to let it smoke about 30 minutes and then put on the meat.  I was wondering what is the reasoning behind that?  What do most of you do?  Also what are the pros and cons of soaking the wood in water or not?  Thanks for any input.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i am interested in this too.  bookmarked

:)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I wait 30 or so minutes to get clean smoke from the charcoal.  Then I throw on the chunks, and then the food.  I think it is generally accepted that soaking is not necessary, because the wood will not ignite in  a typical low and slow.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    i am interested in this too.  bookmarked

:)

:D
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    tgkleman they won't even ignite if you are searing at 700.  true.

try it.  after you shut the dome, the flames on any chunks will die in about 10, 15 seconds, after the air from the dome's being open is spent, and it's all restricted to the lower vent. there's no spare oxygen after it's passed through the burning lump
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    On some post I have read where some suggest after you add the wood to the Egg to let it smoke about 30 minutes and then put on the meat.  I was wondering what is the reasoning behind that?  What do most of you do?  Also what are the pros and cons of soaking the wood in water or not?  Thanks for any input.

I've found with chips, the smoke does not last as long. Recently been using chunks. Get a good fire going, throw a fist sized chunk of wood into the middle of the fire, wait about five minutes then put on the meat. Best results I've got so far.
    or you could throw a fist size pile of chips
  • or you could throw a fist size pile of chips
    Insert physics lesson here:

Lol, I was waiting for it... :D

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I use chunks, never soak. Toss em in, five minutes later I add the meat.

That's my method
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Thanks everyone for all of your input.  I enjoy reading your comments and learning from everyone.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    With my old CharBroil grill, I preferred to add chunks occasionally while smoking. However, with my new BGE, I do not see a way to do this. The plate setter is very hot and would have to be removed to effectively add more chunks while cooking. The downside is that I get effective smoke for only the first 45 minutes or so of a cook, which may last 4 hours or so.

How do y'all deal with this?

Tim
  • stike
    all goes in beforehand, in the center up and down through the lump  the fire will find it
  • ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    edited August 2012
    I tried stikes method last night and it was a THANG of beauty! Thanks STIKE!