Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First cook on new Xl BGE

hrchdoghrchdog Posts: 37
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I put two porkbutts weighing 21lb on at 6:30 this morning, dome stabilized at 275 and internal temp of one butt is already 125. Shooting for a 4:30-5:00 pulled pork dinner, will try to get pics when finished. I've been keeping a log on the hour of temps and grill settings as far as openings on the daisey wheel and damper on bottom.
Herrin,IL.

Comments

• EggdamEggdam Posts: 223
    I did the same cook recently at 250-260 and it took 21 hours. Curious to see how long yours takes.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,194
    FWIW-at the cited temperature (assuming each butt is 10-11 #'s) the cook will likely be in the 1.7-2.0hrs/# range as noted by Eggdam.  Sometimes a bit faster but historically that's the way the hunk of pork behaves.  If that duration is outside your window you can search "turbo butts" to find an elevated temp cook that obviously accelerates the whole process. Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • hrchdoghrchdog Posts: 37
    Wow 12 hrs was max at that temp on my stumps clone for that size of butt. Well thats the reason i'm keeping a log on this first cook.
    Herrin,IL.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,194

Here's a great site for pulled pork that may be of interest-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html Enjoy.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • hrchdoghrchdog Posts: 37
    Well it ended up taking 13 hours, found out I need to calibrate thermometer. First pic is of my smoking area that will be turned into an outdoor kitchen this spring, then pics of the Q.
    Herrin,IL.
  • ipadbaipadba Posts: 8
    I did my first cook on my newly acquired XL, an overnight pork shoulder. I checked on it in the morning and it had run out of fuel. I suppose I just didn't load enough, but it seems to burn (a lot) faster than my large.