Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet aging steaks

MOvikingsfan
MOvikingsfan Posts: 80
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
After reading about wet aging i decided to try it. I got a package of ribeyes and vaccum sealed them individually. Left them in fridge for two weeks and tried them....they were good. Looking thru the fridge last nite it turns out I had forgot about one of them. Been vaccum sealed since 5/25/12....Do you think it would be safe to eat? or should I cut my loses and toss it out?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    let me reverse it and ask you this: why would it be UN-safe?
    seriously, though, if your temps are ok, it should technically be safe.  don't think the vacuum helps any.  you would simply be trading one set of microbes for another.  as long as temps are good, it should be ok.

the nose check will be difficult, because anything 'different' you and your wife may assume means bad.  aged meat has a distinct smell that will will eventually store in the memory bank.  it should smell like that, but i can't describe it over the internet tubes.

i personally would have no qualms eating it, but i simply find that wet-aging to a great length makes for an overly cloying, sickly sweet flavor.

my personal best is a hundred days, but a buddy of mine (i use that term loosely) ate one that i had aged a hundred days, packed in my carryon to georgia, drove in the trunk of a hot rental car to a cabin, left in a cooler all weekend, tossed into his own cooler, drove back to his house, tossed in the fridge, abd forgotten for a month or so.

he said it was fantastic.

:))
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks @stike.....I love dry aged meat but didn't want to buy the whole ribeye...I remember reading your posts about dry aging for long periods of time(saw the pics of your 100 day)but wasn't really sure about the length of times with wet aging. So do you think aging times are the same for wet vs dry aging?
  • stike
    i don't think they are the same.  a dry aging steak is also wet aging (internally).

i generally go about 2 weeks wet, then unwrap and go 45 days dry.  either a total of 45 days wet-plus-dry, or 45 dry on top of the two weeks wet (60 total)

• Thanks for the feedback.....Gonna try it tonite....hope all is well tomorrow. lol
  • stike
    Wash it, pat dry, salt it and leave it to warm up

Or hot tub in the package, rinse, pat dry etc.

Overly wet aged stuff can smell sweetish, hard to describe, sorry.

It's an aquired taste, and does require a leap of faith. If you dont feel confident, and are worried about temps, dont feel bad tossing it.
  • Well I may end up tossing it out but I am for sure gonna cook it first and see how it tastes.