Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Resting Brisket

Options
MOvikingsfan
MOvikingsfan Posts: 80
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

After great success with the "Travis brisket method" I was going to do another one this weekend. I would like to have it done early to prepare other foods.

My question.....would you wrap the whole pan and leave the brisket half submerged while the meat rests maybe 2 hours or would you remove from the liquid and wrap the brisket?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Hopefully Travis will be along but my two cents-never having cooked a "Travis style brisket" would be to remove it from the liquid and give the brisket the FTC treatment.  Reserve the liquid and reheat when ready to slice the brisket.  I'm sure others will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you wrap that thing up on a steaming pan of liquid it is goIng to destroy any bark you have left. think the consensus is to remove it toward the end of the cook anyway to let the bark firm up. It's hard enough to keep good bark wrapping with no liquid so if you likey the bark, avoidy the liquid :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It's a good idea and a bad idea. I would leave it submerged for up to 4 hours or so. The problem is that after it starts to cool, the fat drippings congeal and get gross. For longer than 4 hours, I would remove the liquid so you can nuke it just before you serve.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • MOvikingsfan
    Options
    Thanks guys.....that brisket was so good ive had another one on my mind all week....just wasnt sure how to rest it....from Bart Scott "CAN'T WAIT"...lol (hate the jets BTW)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Gotta love anything you can keep submerged :) Thanks Travis-I will keep that in mind whenever I give your method a shot with a flat...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Gotta love anything you can keep submerged :) Thanks Travis-I will keep that in mind whenever I give your method a shot with a flat...

Ha! That one took me a second.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Gotta love anything you can keep submerged :) 

=))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!