Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The spending never stops...

Options
brewbq
brewbq Posts: 52
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
This egg thing, which someone mentioned is a green egg shaped hole in the back yard that we all just throw money into, is seriously consuming my life/income/time.  And I couldn't be happier!  Just put a purchase order in for an adjustable grill rack from the ceramic grill store.  I am so freekin' excited, it is really quite sad.  I remember the days when I got upset spending almost $200 on JUST A GRILL!  Sigh. On the upside, now I can cook for my whole company and have a great time doing it.  Anyone already have one of these?  Any cooking tips using them? And yeah, might as well ask.  Any suggestions on where to go from here purchase wise?  As in the next best attachment or upgrade?  I'm thinking a pit temp controller should be next, but that will probably be a bit (Christmas is coming, right) so any suggestions would be appreciated.

For the record, this is the setup I just ordered.  (I'll be waiting like a kid at Christmas till it gets here)

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    go for the ique! 160 shipped to your door and works flawlessly
  • brewbq
    Options
    I'll have to look it up.  $160 is not too bad.  I was looking at the partyQ, but saw some reviews saying the fan can melt if left on the egg.  It is battery op though and only 130.  Thanks for the tip.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    AHAHA - this is so true...
    This egg thing, which someone mentioned is a green egg shaped hole in the back yard that we all just throw money into,
    Also THIS - is a really funny question to ask around here... I'm sure you'll soon find out why...

Anyone already have one of these? 

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • brewbq
    Options
    Good to hear.  How long do the batteries last on those?
  • BRush00
    Options
    Oh - and as for more money-pit ideas...

I LOVE my new Looft Lighter!
  • brewbq
    Options
    Just looked that one up.  One word, Woah!  Man, I'm never gonna be done buying things.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I am using the el cheapo home depot/weber/whatever electric charcoal starter and works great. Lights a fire in about 10 with a wide area of coals a'burnin. Give it a try before you spend 70$ or so. Take the rest of the money to costco to buy stuff you can eat. :)>-

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    $279 for that ebay link, i almost jumped right on that!

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    That is interesting - They raised the price by $100 from when I bookmarked it awhile ago.  I removed that useless link.  I should have bought it when it was listed for $179.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Can't stop spending on accessories?  Define accessories.

An earlier post today asked how many people were packing their freezers w. pre-cooked food, so they just had to thaw and eat when they got home from work. So freezer = accessory.

And the vacuum packing machine, for the pre-cooked food and the huge batch of rubs that were bought, so everything stays fresh. = accessory.

And the sous vide bath to reheat those packages = accesory.

And of course you  will start cutting rib slabs just the way you like them. And maybe boning poultry. Knives = accessories.

And because they are good knives, they deserve a good cutting board. And a knife sharpener. And a nice magnetic strip to hold them without harming the edge.

And then you find that just a few counties over, there is a farm raising Berkshire hogs. Or worse, you see Mangalitsa hog meat on the internet.

Bwa-haa-haa! It starts with little burnt offerings, and the next thing you know, you are cook.

(to be continued...)

• hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I tell you what; the Egg is like a Harley Davidson.  The HD in Harley Davidson stands for "Hundred Dollars", so with that said does the BGE stand for "Big Giant Expense"? Hey we all need to have our toys.  I have a Harley and it sits in the garage. Ive used the Egg dang near eveyday since I got it. Its obvious my tastes have changed, no pun intended. I love my Harley but I love the Egg as well so I spend, spend, spend. Trust me I enjoy it and can afford it now, so no issue. If you love what you are doing then the cost is justified. Happy Cooking :D
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Man I've spent at least the same in eggsessories as I have on the initial purchase of my lbge. But like y'all, I'm lovin every minute of it, and so is my hungry family! I bought that same Adjustable Rig customer combo as you, but I also dot the extended grid, slide guides with extra oval grid and the welders gloves. I highly recommend that if you don't already have some, get some nice thick gloves. In addition to that, a second grid gripper helps me tremendously since the AR and spider/woo take TWO hands to lift in and out of the blazing eggy.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Hey BRush00, your Looftlighter has a bottle opener too? That's insane! :)>-
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    Grind your own meat.  You NEED a decent meat grinder.  You'll never go back to "ground beef" (whatever that may be) again.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

Do you have a wife?  (need i say more?)

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    Options
    I say that with love!  I would not trade my wife for anything  :D

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options

Not even another egg? :x
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I got the R&B setup with the combo (slide & extender).
    Luving it. 

=))
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • mikeb9550
    Options
    Or u can start making your own stuff. I'm too darn cheap to pay 200 for a rack.
  • brewbq
    Options
    I wish I were more mechanically inclined and knew how to use a welder (or any power tools for that matter) so I could make some stuff.  However, unless the fire needs its TCP/IP settings adjusted in order to heat the food, I am at the whims of others with the skills I don't have.  Besides, I know this isn't the first one they've made, so I know it'll work right and fit.  I tend to muck things up when on my own.  
  • ccpoulin1
    Options

no, not even another egg!

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options

Do you have a wife?  (need i say more?)

Yes, and cooking (inside) is her life.  She does sauces (my little sou-chef) I do fire outside.  Adjustable Rig.  Swing Rack.  Meat grinder and all sorts of this and that from Thermopen to you name it.  It's a life-style.  It's a people pleaser.  It costs far less than a good bass-boat.  Not so much in the total life view.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    edited August 2012
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Oh - and as for more money-pit ideas...

I LOVE my new Looft Lighter!

Just got one myself and am loving it. Fire going in 2 mins
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    I'd go with the Maverick 732 if you don't have a thermometer yet. In my opinion a must for low & slow.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Can't stop spending on accessories?  Define accessories.

An earlier post today asked how many people were packing their freezers w. pre-cooked food, so they just had to thaw and eat when they got home from work. So freezer = accessory.

And the vacuum packing machine, for the pre-cooked food and the huge batch of rubs that were bought, so everything stays fresh. = accessory.

And the sous vide bath to reheat those packages = accesory.

And of course you  will start cutting rib slabs just the way you like them. And maybe boning poultry. Knives = accessories.

And because they are good knives, they deserve a good cutting board. And a knife sharpener. And a nice magnetic strip to hold them without harming the edge.

And then you find that just a few counties over, there is a farm raising Berkshire hogs. Or worse, you see Mangalitsa hog meat on the internet.

Bwa-haa-haa! It starts with little burnt offerings, and the next thing you know, you are cook.

(to be continued...)

Sounds like my official bio that I commissioned not too long ago. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ipadba
    ipadba Posts: 8
    Options
    I have the BBQGuru DigiQ for my Large and love it.
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    Options
    I got the R&B setup with the combo (slide & extender).
    Luving it. 

Same here. And a party Q. My next accessory is an attachment that just sucks the money right out of my wallet.
  • BRush00
    Options
    Hey BRush00, your Looftlighter has a bottle opener too? That's insane! :)>-
    It sure does!

Haven't used it yet - but, I'm sure it'll work just as well as any other bottle opener I've got (including the one mounted on my table).

With enough skill, one can open a beverage with just about anything (just gimme a bic lighter, or spoon, or a second beer bottle and I can get em open).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Grind your own meat.  You NEED a decent meat grinder.  You'll never go back to "ground beef" (whatever that may be) again.

Of course if you have a meat grinder, the next step is a sausage stuffer so you can start making your own sausage.

Check out the Auber Instruments Pit Controller. Priced on the lowere end of the pit controller spectrum, no bells and whistles, a few of us here have them and like them. Perfect for hold the Egg at 150 while you smoke that afore mentioned homemade sausage.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings