Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chimney starter question

scottyintx
scottyintx Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Do you dump the coal from the chimney starter after the flames are gone and just red hot coal...or do you dump into egg while still flaming? 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited August 2012
    I don't think most people use the chimney starter method here, but I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to help.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I don't really use my chimney for the Egg, but when I do use it for the Weber Kettle, I dump the charcoal while it still has flames....no need to wait until they die down.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    I still use the chimney, I load the egg and the chimney then put the chimney in the egg and light it.  It gets the lump in the chimney and below going in a pretty quick fashion.
    Edina, MN

• Flaming. But there are better options for the egg. Give the isopropyl alcohol 90% a try. It's cheap and easy, you use it just like you would lighter fluid.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I use the chimney in my large, there is plenty of room to operate in whereas the small is too cramped to dump the coals without a risk of spilling it where you don't want it.
    Costs nothing to operate and quick.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • I retired my chimney and now use the vegetable oil dipped paper towel wrapped in another paper towel. Dig a little hole in the lump and stuff this down in there and light it. Works like a champ. Read about it on this site.

First time to post.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I 86'd my chimney starter with all my old grills and smokers after I got my LBGE...

If the charcoal on top is burning, it's ready to go.
    I am a rookie but use the side burner off my old gasser. Works great and is super quick. A little tricky dumping in burning coals. It literally takes no time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nuffin' wrong with that.
    "It literally takes no time"  - That's FAST!
    I have used the chimney starter a few times, it works O K. I put it in side on top of the coals and the paper started the coals in the chimney and the coals in the egg at the same time, so when I got back out there the chimney was tiped over, not good. every thing was ok but the next time I did of to the side. I use the electric one alot. I going to try the oil and papper towel tonight.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I sometimes use the chimney when I want a hot fire. I put a weber firestarter in the center and set a 3/4 or so full chimney on top of it. The starter lights both the chimney and the lump underneath it, then when the chimney is ready I spread it around the perimeter of the fire and it gets the whole thing going very evenly very quickly. Other than that I never use the chimney in the egg.

To answer your question, though, I wait until the lump on top is good and lit but there are definitely still flames.
    XL BGE
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    I used to use one of these on my old barrel smoker.  They are incredibly efficient and had I not gotten the egg I would still use it.  You do NOT need to wait for the coals to stop flaming.  Once they are good and burning you can dump them in the egg and they will continue to burn down to the glowing red/ashy lumps you want to cook with.  The advantage of this is that while they are still burning down, you start heating up the firebox and surrounding ceramic so that when you are ready to cook, getting up to the desired temp should be a snap.  Additionally, you can rearrange the coals while they are burning down so that the fire is nice and spread out, giving you even heat and burning.  Hope that helps.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

May I make a suggestion, please.

Run out to HD and get yourself one of those electrc charcoal starters. I had my doubts, but after a few times now, I can tell you, its absolutely painless. Stick it into the pile of lump in your egg, cover it with lump and come back in 10 min.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I sometimes use the chimney when I want a hot fire. I put a weber firestarter in the center and set a 3/4 or so full chimney on top of it. The starter lights both the chimney and the lump underneath it, then when the chimney is ready I spread it around the perimeter of the fire and it gets the whole thing going very evenly very quickly. Other than that I never use the chimney in the egg.

To answer your question, though, I wait until the lump on top is good and lit but there are definitely still flames.

I started out using the chimney, and as stated above it works great for a larger hot fire.  For a low/slow it gets too much lump going.  I guess you could just put a little in the chimney and dump only in the middle for l/s.

George

George
  • I use the BGE firestarters, once I run out will use thebacon grease on paper towels (because I like the smell too)
    LBGE, Napolean 450
  • My first cook was a low and slow pork butt. I used a tutorial from Nakedwhiz and he used a chimney to get it started. So I bought one and used it and it worked perfectly. I distributed the hot coals evenly on top of the lump in the egg. It was very simple. I just wasn't sure if I was suppose to put flaming coals in egg or let em die down to red hot. I have since used that method on 2 steak cooks and another pork butt.  

For some reason I was under the impression that was a common method to light the egg up. I was surprised to hear that so many don't use it anymore.

• +1 on the paper towel and vegetable oil method.  I ran out of the BGE starter cubes that the dealer through in with the deal.  I read about the paper towel/ veg oil method on the BGE forum and gave it a try.   I also like it because of the cost...(next to nothing).   It works great, though a bit more smokey at the start.
  • I like my chimney. I use an old oven rack on top of the bottom part of the egg, fill the firebox, light the chimney and remove the rack and dump on top when the lump is flaming. Dragging an extension cord to the egg every cook would be a pita. I cook more low and slow than anything else.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE