Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to smoking on my LBGE

Devon
Devon Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to smoke a butt this weekend. Can anyone give me any pointers to get me started. Like the steps you would take. Please

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    edited August 2012
    I have a very simple recipe that I and others I have served enjoy.

Basically just rub with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.
    50/50 hickory and apple wood chunks mixed in the lump and a couple on top
    Plate setter legs up with drip pan
    Cooking grid on plate setter, with the butt(s) on the grid
    Dome temp of 250 - 270 for about 1.5 - 2 hrs/pound
    Pull at an internal temp of 190 - 200
    Let rest about 1/2 hour or wrap in fowl and a towl and put in a cooler if you need to hold for a few hours
    Pull by hand or with forks and then mix in a NC style vinegary sauce. There are plenty of recipes for it on the web.

I am sure there are as many opinions as there are users on here but this is what works for me. This will give you sort of a NC BBQ with a twist.

Good luck.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320

Here's a great link for pulled pork-and lots of related info as well.  BTW-give the search function a shot and if that yields nothing the try google with big green egg in the subject line.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html Enjoy.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    NC hit the nail on the head! personally i like 275-300 dome when cooking at the felt level.  put some water in your drip pan, and save the drippings, great addition to the sauce. if you want, you can also cook it in a half size aluminum pan with a dribble of applejuice and vinegar in it, keeps everything clean, skim off the fat and shred right in the pan. don't think too much about it, and leave the lid closed, if you've got a remote thermometer, don't open the lid till it hits about 165-170, open it, if it's looking nice and dark, cover with foil. I don't foil. Personally i'd never pull a butt until it hit 195, 190's always seem to give me a harder time pulling.
  • Devon
    Thank you!!! I don't feel so clueless now.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Really solid advice from the experienced eggers.
  • Devon
    So do you have to have the plate setter to smoke??
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    It is highly recommended. You need some way to redirect the heat so it is not getting direct heat from the lump. While others have used other methods to achieve indirect heat, if you have a plate setter that is the way to go. If you don't have one, some of the other guys can help you with alternate methods.
  • Devon
    Thanks. I knew I needed one but I didn't really know the use.
  • lousubcap

The very great majority of people who smoke use some sort of heat deflector (indirect cook) for smoking.  You can use most anything to keep the radiant heat from the lump away from the smoke target.  Platesetter or after-market products (ceramic grill store).  Or you can use a simple aluminum pan or fire bricks on a grid below the main cooking grid. 

Some will smoke direct (no deflector) but that usually involves getting the smoke target higher in the dome (raised grid).  Perhaps those direct smoke eggsperts will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    listen to lou.  the platesetter is only one way to create an indirect set up.  in fact, it is something that someone jerry-rigged by borrowing it from the ceramics industry.  just happened to work well and fit.  now BGE makes them

any barrier that blocks the meat from the lump, ideally with an airspace too, will work

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    for a boston butt, i've only direct smoked it in a giant barrel smoker, where the butts about 4 feet from the actual coals. I usually hang racks of st louis ribs in it, but smoking directly over the coals can lead to some pretty massive flare ups from dripping fats and flavors you aren't used to from the smoke from the fat imparting itself on the meat. get a plate setter, or something from the ceramic grill store. I've got both, the spider with 13" stone and a plate setter. To be honest, depending what im cooking, they both have their pluses and minuses.
  • Devon
    I have seen the spider, is it an item my egg dealer would carry
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    i'm currently 3 hours, 15 minutes into my first pork butt on my new egg. I followed other vets on this board with these directions from @rich_ie :

1.) Slather in mustard (optional)
    2.) Heavy on your favorite rub.
    3.) Indirect between 250-350 grid temp (how quick do you need it done?)
    4.) Pull @ 190-195 or so and rest under foil for 30 minutes (if you're in a hurry) or up to 3-4 hours in a cooler (if you need to delay).
    5.) Pull and eat!

• lousubcap

@ anez-about the only thing I would add for someone else's use is to use a drip pan (elevated off the platesetter/stone/deflector-create an air gap) to keep the drippings from becoming very burnt offerings.  Elevation can be BGE feet (depending on the vintage of your BGE), balled up foil, washers-you get the idea.

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    How did it turn out? 
  • Devon
    Amazing I really surprised myself!