Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steaks on the Mini

Rumrunner
Rumrunner Posts: 563
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had to cut the two steaks in half to fit on the Mini corectly :) Rubbed with a little Dale's Sauce, then my steak seasoning. They went on the grill at 500-550° for 3 minutes a side.[p]22695451_21585abd6e_o.jpg[p]They were awesome! Looks like a small serving, but I went back for seconds ;) Steamed Ginger Carrots and Broccolini. Deelishous, if I say so myself. Extremely, extremely TENDER and TASTY.[p]22695452_e7b6cb9d5f_o.jpg

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Rumrunner,[p]Looks great. Gotta love Mini.[p]Almost looks like you could make some really good fajitas with that cut.[p]TRex
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Rumrunner,
    Thanks for the demonstration.
    I hope my grocers beef section has some. A very good way to serve tender beef when entertaining many at low cost.

• Groundfish
    Groundfish Posts: 71
    Rumrunner,
    did you marinate for those any length of time?

• Rumrunner
    Groundfish, no marinating at all. Well, I did rub with a light coating of Dale's Sauce, but I only use it for flavor. They sat for about three hours in the fridge after seasoning.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Rumrunner,
    Around here, those cuts don't exist. There just was an article in the Wall Street J. about the marketing of lesser meat cuts to replace the expensive loin cuts. One of the items mentioned was the "flat iron" steak. Isn't this just a piece of the chuck (shoulder) cut away from the blade? Maybe Chef Will can enlightened us. Have a great holiday!

• Rumrunner
    Marvin, there is an explanation to that effect a few threads below with Dr.BBQ.[p]By the way, 'those cuts' exist every where, people need to know how to ask for them and the meat personnel have to take the time and initative to look it up. A good butcher will take the time to help/keep/retain a customer. You won't find that in chain supermarkets or the box/discount stores.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Marvin,
    I should have looked a bit further. Thanks for the cutting lesson. I can do that! You're absolutely right about personal butchers and small shops: quickly disappearing. Even our "famous" Wegman's grocer has reduced their number of butchers for pre-packaged cuts. Have a great weekend!