Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven

Options
cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been eyeing one up for a while. The wife told me to hold off until Christmas. She must be nuts! Went to Wally World. They had a 7 qt Lodge for $59. Grabbed the ole' smart phone and opened the shop savvy app. Sears had the same one for $29.99. Wal Mart price matched and now I have a new toy!

Deep fried egglpant last night. No better way to season than fill it with oil and deep fry! What to cook next?

Any suggestions?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• DaveNJ
    DaveNJ Posts: 1
    Options
    The second things I made on my Egg were a flank steak and a cake I leaned about at Philmont this summer - the Heart Attack Cake. A Scoutmaster from Arkansas gave me the recipe:

Line the dutch oven with foil
    1 Fudge cake mix (make as per directions in the dutch oven)
    Bake on indirect at 350 for 30 minutes or so
    Take the cake out with the foil
    poke some holes in the top of the cake with a knife
    Pour 1 can of evaporated milk directly on top of the cake while still warm
    Use 1 tub of Cool Whip as icing
    Crumble cookies over the top of the cake (I used Nutter Butters)

As a dutch oven pro from the scouts, I was amazed at how evenly the cake cooked and how light and moist it was - delicious!

I see you bought a 7qt - the cake might be a little too flat (I have a 6qt Lodge) - no reason to not make two cakes at once... :-)

Good luck to you!
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I hope to take my buys to Philmont when old enough!