Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Nights Dinner

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wanted to try my hand at pork chops for the first time. 

Butterfly Pork Chops topped with a Pear, Red Onion & Tomato, Chutney. Did roasted red potatoes, as well as a grilled Artichoke. 

Cooked the chops a similar way I do my steaks. Apple wood chips and sear 90 seconds each side at 600 degrees, pulled for a 15 minute rest, then roast till 138 degrees. Proud to say everything came out perfect, and the chutney topping was out of this world - exploding with flavor. My wife took some leftovers to work, and the whole office was raving about the smell when she heated it up. I'll be happy to share the chutney recipe if anyone would like. Definitely a winner. 

Jason 

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Glad it worked out for you JW!! It's always good to make the wofe's coworkers jealous too lol

Good work!

Not a artichoke fan, but tell me more about this chutney.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Yes,mI would lie to re-create that chutney
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    @LizzieSamps @Cazzy

Here ya go:

1 Large Red Onion, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices

3 Tbs Olive Oil

1 tsp whole cumin seeds

1 large pinch crushe red pepper flakes

Handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1 pear, sliced into chunks

3 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

1 tsp granulated sugar

In a cast iron skillet heat cumin, pepper flakes, and 1 Tbs olive oil and cook direct, stirring constantly until toasted and fragrant.

Meanwhile, season the onion with salt and pepper, and grill direct until onion becomes soft.

Add the onions, tomatoes, pear, vinegar, sugar, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/4 tsp pepper into the skillet.

Stir often until thickened. Serve atop of the grilled chops and serve immediately.

Around 5 minutes prior to me putting the chops back on the egg to roast, I began to make the chutney. I let it simmer in the skillet and stirred often, while the chops were coming up to temp. Total time on the chutney was around 15 minutes. Pit temp was at 400 degrees.

I was blown away by the amount of flavor and aroma the chutney held. Certainly can't wait to prepare this one again.