Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help getting egg

dstrbd488
dstrbd488 Posts: 66
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok I need some help getting the wife convinced we need an egg. I know this has been on here a bit but I have an issue I haven't seen yet. She really likes to go out to eat and is afraid that if I get an egg we won't go out for dinner anymore. I work out of town 5 or 6 days a week and so she's stuck at home with the kids Monday thru friday so I guess I understand a bit, but man I can't figure out how to combat this. Any ideas??

Comments

• I travel all the time and we still love to eat out. We are far more critical of grilled foods and bbq though. I would say that eating better at home and knowing what's better when you eat out is a good thing. You'll demand better food, eat at better places, and elevate your overall food knowledge. Nothing wrong with that
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Agree with Cen-Tex. I travel 3 - 4 nights a week. Before the Egg, when I was home we ate out a lot. Not fun for me since I've been doing that all week, but my wife was sick of 'meals for one' while I was gone. Since getting the Egg about a year ago, it's now 'what are we cooking tonight' instead of 'where are we going tonight'. We are both enjoying the meals cooked on the Egg.
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Buy one as a gift for your kids. My kids always ask for a surprise when I return..... Surprise! :))
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Sgt that is a fine plan! I'm not sure how well that'll go over but it is a thought. All I know right now is I'm about tired of being out of town and I think it's about time to look off something to get me at home in the evenings. 5.5 years of this has just about been enough
  • Sgt93
    Tell tour wife that part. Since you willis be cooking, she still gets a break.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    I had the reverse scenario.  My wife found a used one and bought it.  I did not think we needed one since we already had 2 Holland Gas Grills.  I have not fired up either Holland since we got the Egg.  Rib eye tonight with baked sweet potatoes.  Just keep sending her miscellaneous food pictures from this site.  She will get the hint.  Groveling, begging and pleading sometimes works too.  I have heard sex threats do not work on women like it does on men.  For some reason guys always seem to cave first.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Don't ask...just go get it. Then apologize a few times and agree that you'll discuss things like this with her in the future. 

:)>-
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • ipadba
    ipadba Posts: 8
    I agree with Eggbertsdad. That's what I did with my kegerator. What's the saying, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission?
  • Egts
    Egts Posts: 27
    First off, its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I was in the same situation, I bought one and cooked on it a few times. Each time I cooked it took a little of the chip off the wifes shoulder. Now she tells everyone how awesome the egg is. Just do it.
  • I travelled Mon-Fri for 15 yrs straight...so I feel your pain. The last thing I wanted on the weekends was yet another restaurant meal. Conversely, my wife always wanted to go out. A healthy compromise is in order. Agree to continue to go out one night each weekend, with the other night(s) being meals you prepare on the Egg. If everything goes well, within a month or two your wife will hopefully be suggesting that you cook instead of going out!
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243

I travelled Mon-Fri for 15 yrs straight...so I feel your pain. The last thing I wanted on the weekends was yet another restaurant meal. Conversely, my wife always wanted to go out. A healthy compromise is in order. Agree to continue to go out one night each weekend, with the other night(s) being meals you prepare on the Egg. If everything goes well, within a month or two your wife will hopefully be suggesting that you cook instead of going out!
    Agree with this.   On the night you cook in make enough so she has leftovers for the week.   Pulled Pork works great that way you can also reduce what she need to cook thoughout the week.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Excentuate the point that it's a lifetime investment.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    If you have kids it would be a great way to incorporate them into cooking. They have to learn somehow and think of the family time. 

I would also say cen tex hit it on the head about going to better places, dang is that guy ever wrong???
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    I travel all the time and we still love to eat out. We are far more critical of grilled foods and bbq though. I would say that eating better at home and knowing what's better when you eat out is a good thing. You'll demand better food, eat at better places, and elevate your overall food knowledge. Nothing wrong with that
    Better places usually mean more expensive.  You can then point out to the wife how much money you could save by cooking at home on the BGE.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    My wife loves the BGE meals and even makes requests now. We love making pizzas. I have also found a trade off where she does "kitchen" meals one night where she gets her pasta fix etc. while I take care of our son or I'll take care of the meat and she does sides. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I was in the same situation, I bought one and cooked on it a few times. Each time I cooked it took a little of the chip off the wifes shoulder. Now she tells everyone how awesome the egg is. Just do it.
    Same here.  She was questioning the purchase when I talked about it and finally brought it home. Once she started to taste the food I was making on it, she now loves it.  Tells everybody about it and even posts pictures of the Egg and food on her facebook account.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sgt93
    I just cooked out, had a few Crown and Cokes, spent time with family and got caught up on what's going in with who. We laughed and had a great time. The Egg cannot be beaten. Those moments are priceless.