Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey advice?

cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Considering doing a turkey on my BGE this holiday season.  I've never done one so I wanted to at least do a trial run at some point between now and then.  I'll take any advice out there.  A few questions that come to mind:

1.  What is a realistic size for a turkey on a large?  (I'm not looking to get it to the very limits, but some general idea of what it will hold.)
2.  What is your favorite set up?  I have the AR with spider and stone and of course, the original plate setter.
3.  Temps for both the egg and turkey and reasonable times to shoot for?
4.  Any other pointers that you might want to throw in.

FWIW, I'll probably shoot for a lighter smoked flavor.  The egg alone delivers such a good product and my family doesn't like overly smoked poultry.

Thanks!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm also interested in the same info.  Plan on smoking a turkey for the Thanksgiving. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Spatchcock or fail.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    I've done one turkey, 15.3 lbs. I did indirect, platesetter legs up with a drip pan on the platesetter. V rack sitting in the drip pan along with about half an inch of water. I didn't use chips or chunks so smoke flavor was on the light side. Thighs were at 180 and breast at 160 after 4 hours @ 260 dome temp. We enjoyed it a lot and will do another this fall. I'm still a newby, got my large in May so could have been beginner's luck but it sure was good.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I don't remember my specific temp, but the results were fantastic: Spatchcock the turkey.  I injected it with a cajun butter injection I bought at walmart, after brining it overnight with a brine mix I bought at Home Depot (they just had them for the season).  Then sprinkled with rub and used some cherry wood for smoke.  Cook till thighs are at 180, hope breasts aren't too much over 160.  My family loved it, and I've done many chickens the exact same way with great success.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Indirect, plate setter legs up with drip pan raised up off plate setter. 375 - 400 dome temp. Cook to temp, not time, and they take less than you think. As for smoke, I really like pecan wood for turkey. Recently did four large turkey breasts, two with no smoke, two with pecan and both were delicious, and most favored the pecan smoked.
    Spatchcock or fail.
    Details?  I'm all ears (or eyes).  LOVE spatchcock chicken on the egg!  Just a few thoughts that hit me initially:  prob have to do it at a lower temp than chicken (normally do that around 375-400) and it seems that it would reduce the max size turkey I could do.  Thoughts?

Thanks for all the other ideas from others.  Rick, you just reminded me of how forgiving the egg is.  When all else fails, just use some logic and chances are it will turn out great and very little chance of failure.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Best turkey I ever did in my whole life.  Get Rhulman's Charcuterie http://ruhlman.com/my-books/  .

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Greenberg Turkeys out of Tyler Texas produces arguably the finest smoked turkeys on earth, and they are not done spatched. So I refuse to believe that's the only logical method. 

• Greenberg Turkeys out of Tyler Texas produces arguably the finest smoked turkeys on earth, and they are not done spatched. So I refuse to believe that's the only logical method. 

pretty sure that was a bit tongue in cheek.. I do them both ways. I've done a modified "Mad Max" without the herbs etc for the past 8 years for Thanksgiving and they are great. My bro in law does a fried bird and I love them. And as for the finest smoked turkey's on earth......Would love to try one
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Greenberg Turkeys out of Tyler Texas produces arguably the finest smoked turkeys on earth, and they are not done spatched. So I refuse to believe that's the only logical method. 

Those Tyler turkeys are pretty good.  My sister lives there and sends me one every year for xmas.  It does not last long.  I would love to be able to do one like that on my egg.  I have not mastered the turkey on the egg yet.  I still deep fry them...they are so easy that way.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • I've done two turkeys on my offset before getting my egg. I found a great apple brine recipe at the virtual weber bullet site and had great success. I'll be doing the birds on the egg this year and expect even better cooks. I think brining the turkey really helps.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2012
    Do turkey a lot. I like smaller birds, say 11 or so pounds( if more meat needed just do another one or two as only takes less than an hour and half). I spatchcock 100%. No brine and no oil ever for me. I do spatchcock and put in fridge uncovered overnight. I use a coffee rub an hour or so before putting on. 400 raised direct skin side up and never turn it over this is a very easy cook for anytime of the year. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I cooked a 15-pound turkey last Thanksgiving using Meathead's method and it was unbelievably good, by far the best I've ever had. I made one change: Instead of his wet brine, I used a dry brine. I smoke turkey breast fairly often, a meat that I never liked before getting the egg.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I did Naked Whiz's Mad Max turkey for last Turkey Day....it was very good! Had never done a turkey on the egg before that.

We have been buying fresh turkeys from a local farmer for the last few years, and I was hesitant to try a new recipe on a turkey that cost that much, but my worries were for for naught. The bird was really juicy and had a nice flavor to it. I used a bit of pecan wood for the cook. Not an overwhelming smoke at all....very mild.

We also did stuffing and mac and cheese in the egg too.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

+1 with spatchcock turkey-I found that around 15#'s is a good fit for the LBGE.  Here's a link to a video that steps through the whole process-

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/759.htm Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    I think Spatchcocked Turkey is the way to go. The last one I did was about 13-14lbs. It took about 90 min. Once placed at the buffet table, it was the first to go before the all day cooked turkeys.

To spatchcock it, follow the same process as would a chicken. You could brine for flavour, but I don't think it will yield much more moisture.
    context is important :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i try to stay within 14 to 18 pounds with turkey, they always seem to come out better than a bigger bird. madmax is a a good method although i sometimes stuff a bird. if your buying frozen, empire does a kosher bird, its better tasting than most of the other frozen birds, seems most frozen birds are solution added
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have done a couple of turkeys, non spatchcock. I set up the egg (large) just like I do for a Butt. 
    I used a brine. Pretty sure I had 250 dome temp. Can't remember how long it took... what i do remember is how fantastic it turned out. Juicy and smokey. After it was carved everyone hovered over the carcass and picked it clean.

Will be doing another one this year. 

My two cents.
  • cssmd27
    Mickey and Lou - do you foil the edges of the turkey in order to protect it from burning like Fred shows?  Mickey's pics don't look like it.

I'll be trying to spatchcock it - simple, I'm used to it with chickens, and it has been awesome with chickens, so great potential.
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    I did a 11 lb turkey a few months ago, cooked at about 350 to temp.  It was wonderful.  I have not smoked one and not sure that I will, given the results with a straight cook.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Mickey and Lou - do you foil the edges of the turkey in order to protect it from burning like Fred shows?  Mickey's pics don't look like it.

I'll be trying to spatchcock it - simple, I'm used to it with chickens, and it has been awesome with chickens, so great potential.
    I do not foil but put the legs toward the back as that is the hottest section of the BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Doc, links not working

Try this http://ruhlman.com/my-books/

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Like lousubcap  I don't foil. I do put (((VERY LITTLE))) very little chips: combo cherry/pecan: did I say very little.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.