Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Successfull experiments

Options
Wreckt01
Wreckt01 Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Pulled about 15 jumbo jalepenos out of the garden yesterday, and decided to use whatever i had on hand and experiment.  Ended up stuffing them with left over pulled pork, cilantro and spanish onion. set them in the stand at 350 direct for about 15 minutes.  Removed the tops, dropped in a little Oaxaca cheese we had left over and let it rip for another 10-15 mins.  Completely forgot to take a picture since I was just winging it but they were fantastic. 

What are some of your random experiemnts that came out better than expected, or even became a favorite?

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    your variation of the legendary "ABT" or "Atomic Buffalo T*rd" sounds AWESOME!!

As for me, I set out some chicken in the fridge to allow it to thaw so that I could cook it one weekend.  Long story short, ended up NOT cooking it that weekend.  GF was furious, afraid we'd have to toss the chicken, but I soldiered on, informing her that we could save it till next weekend & that it would be fine (at least that was my HOPE anyway) ;)

Well, the next weekend came, and by that time the chicken was looking quite nasty (skin had pulled tight to the meat, and reddish blood-spots started to pool at various spots) - really didn't look appetizing at ALL!!

Again, GF wanted to toss it, and said she wouldn't eat it & was afraid it would make us sick.

I said that if I can fix it on the Egg, that I'd be the guinea pig & try it first.  Well, once I pulled it off the Egg, I cut into it & it happened to have the crispiest skin we've ever done, as well as it was incredibly juicy!!

So now I call it my "aged" chicken & any time I do chicken, I let it "age" in the fridge for a week!!

Details of that cook can be found here:  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137891/best-parts-sorta-spatchcocked-part-ii-or-aged-chicken-breasts#latest
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I read that if really crispy chicken skin was the goal, it was better to remove the skin, season it, and just lay it on the chicken pieces. That worked pretty well.

On day, tired from work and hungry, I tossed the pieces on w/o the skin. Remembered when the meat was almost done.

Opened a can of instant flaky biscuits. Cut the biscuits in half. Dusted the skins w. rub, and toothpicked them around the dough. Put them on when the chix pieces came off.

10 minutes later, they were done. Skin crispy, and a little singed, the dough fluffed and mostly cooked. Some dough had burst open the pinned skin. My wife said they were good enough to be called "poor man's chicken."

Next time, cut the dough into smaller pieces, and I turned more often. A nice snack, even when cooled.