Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Made Pizza last night, gasket is fine

Options
echap
echap Posts: 13
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, made pizza on the egg last night.  Got the fire going bigger than ever, ran it up to 750 degrees or so, and was afraid to open it up :-)

Had the plate setter legs down, BGE pizza stone on top.  Cooked the pie for about 7 minutes.  Came out great.  Had a taste so much better than using the oven inside.  Just though I would share. 

I've had my egg two weeks now and have cooked on it everyday. 

Going to make pig shots and venison on it today!

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Good looking pie. If you are worried about your gasket you can put the PS legs up, Grid, and stone on grid. I use to make pizza the same way as you and when my gasket fried I contacted Duane at BGE customer service. He told me that legs up was much more practical for your gasket life.
  • echap
    echap Posts: 13
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment, I thought about going legs up, but was afraid I would not be able to get my pizza back out.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    That's a nice pie!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    echap said:

Thanks for the compliment, I thought about going legs up, but was afraid I would not be able to get my pizza back out.

You put your pizza stone on the grate when you do legs up. That puts it at exactly the same level as legs down so it's no different getting the pie out.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexasPitBoss
    Options
    I attempted pizza for the first time last week and had no success with 600 degree temps. My crust was burning significantly at around 4 minutes. I had the egg setup the same as yours (and unfortunately, I baked the gasket right near the front handle). I did however manage to do it by lowering the temp to 500 and putting the dough onto a pizza pan on top of the stone, but this was just a workaround. (Family was hungry).

What dough recipe did you use? Thanks -JD

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Different doughs react different to baking temps. If it was store bought, follow the instructions. If you made it try 450 if 500 was too high. I make the dough from scratch and it doesn't respond well to temps over 550 after the stone is completely preheated (usually about 45 min). There has been quite a few recent dough posts lately. Look for Finally the pizza dough recipe I was looking for!

• dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32
    Options
    After I burnt up my first gasket cooking pizza, customer service told me to use the plate setter legs up & cook pizza at temp 500 to 550 for 10 to 12 minutes. Cooked 2 pizzas last night & gasket is fine. Pizzas turned out good.
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    Don't worry - you'll get bit by the gasket thing soon enough. I made a few pizzas too before mine started to let go. I was thinking I had the non-charred gasket method of pizza cooking figured out too - but it got me eventually. I replaced mine with a Rutland, so no more worries. 

FWIW, I always cooked with platesetter legs up - still got me.