Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'll be attempting my first pizza in the next couple nights. Can I do it on the plate setter? I don't have a stone and will not be buying on before I make the pizza. So I need to improvise.[p]I've read the recipes and pizza tips in the recipe section of this forum and also on TNW site and will probably be utilizing those. The photos posted on Wednesday had me drooling![p]Gwen

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,
    I get much better results when I get *something* in between the inferno and the plate setter.[p]I'd suggest at least a couple of firebricks (sometimes I wrap them in some foil to resist some of the infra red heat).[p]Having the fire hit the plate setter directly underneath is just way too hot for my pizzas.b[p]bc

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Gwen,[p]I've never tried using the plate setter alone, but sometimes even my setter/stone combination will get a little hot and brown the bottoms of pizza #2 or #3. To avoid this I will sometimes use a pizza screen as an insulator. Check out my post in the "Mind sharing some pizza pictures?" it shows a screen, .99 at Wal-Mart.[p]BTW the thicker flour tortillas also make a good crust if you limit the number of toppings.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Gwen,
    I agree with bc, my pizza crust would over cook before the topping was done when cooking directly on the platesetter.[p]What works for me-(I might be the only one doing this) is to set up the platesetter inverted(legs up), grid on legs then pizza on a perforated aluminum pizza pan. I have a number of pizza pans that I build my pizza's on so as soon as a pizza is done, another is ready to go in. Dome at 500 and the crust is done when the topping is done. Easy. I have a BGE pizza stone but save it for pita bread.
    Lump of Clay

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Gwen, using a pizza screen you maybe able to do it directly on the inverted platesetter.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Gwen,[p]I like a relatively thin crust on my pizza. I cook it directly on the inverted platesetter at no higher than a steady 450-500. Works fine for me.

• Unknown
    Options
    bc,[p]What if you put the plate setter in feet first? I live in a remote area and can't get out to purchase anything new before I make the pizzas (tonight). I can try punching holes in our round pizza pan.
  • greeneggonmyface
    Options
    What if I AM planning on using the BGE Pizza Stone - how is that best done? I'll be using home-made yeast dough and several toppings.[p]Thanks!!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,
    I used to setup as follows: plate-setter with feet down, with a pizza stone on top of that with a pizza screen on top of that... this set-up worked great for a thick crust pizza. [p]HOWEVER, this past weekend, I cooked a *thinner* crust pizza that was absolutely amazing... setup as follows: plate-setter with feet up, grid on top of that with pizza pan on top of that... no questions asked... that is the best way to do it in my opinion. Find pizza pan (and description) here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzapan.php

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,
    I saw your post below asking for a good thin crust receipe... the trick is using a high-gluten flour and rolling it out real thin... then place on a pizza pan as described in my below post. I usually bake for a few minutes at around 500 degrees and then take it off and load up the sauce, toppings and cheese until the cheese is melted.

• BYC39
    BYC39 Posts: 94
    Options
    One of the King's Men,[p]Double OO flour mostly found in Italian deli's and grocers is also good....

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,[p]Similar (but opposite!) to the post above, I usually put the plate setter in feet down, but on a grill. In the center of this grill I put some fire bricks wrapped in foil (to block that infra-red stuff) to make the plate setter heat mostly by ambient heat.[p]Then the 'za goes right onto the setter so that it can act as my pizza stone. [p]I'll say that this *can* work great, but, pizza really is a complex and fun food to cook. The race is on between your toppings and your crust: who's gonna finish first? Hopefully it’s a tie.[p]Personally, I really like the challenge and more than once have had pizza parties that turn into competitions, that will then turn into really good pizza.[p]The downside is that just like BBQ and steak, my options for eating out are really dwindling…. :)[p]bc

• Unknown
    Options
    One of the King's Men,
    We made individual pizzas. The crusts tasted good but were too crispy, imo. I like a little softer. They were not burned. In fact, most of them looked doughy, even tho they were not. The toppings were all heated thru and melted way before the crust was done.[p]I baked directly on the plate setter as that's all I had available to me at the moment. I plan to get a pizza stone from Pampered Chef in the future.[p]They were very good, but I need to work on the dough recipe. I've tried many a dough recipe (cooked in the oven) and am still searching for the perfect one!

• Unknown
    Options
    Gwen,
    I bought a pizza stone from Wal Mart ($6) and fire bricks from Ace Hardware($16 for 6). I've only had my egg since Memorial Day and pizza is one of my favorite things to make. My 15 year-old son and my husband think it is the best pizza ever. I've taken the lazy way out of making crust. In Sam's Club delis, you can buy 20 frozen pizza dough balls for about $15. I just take one out and let it rise on the day I am making the pizza. (The dough balls are huge and make a thick crust - you could easily halve them and make a thinner crust.)

• Unknown
    Options
    Which of the cutter pizza pans do you recommend (size/coating)? I have the large BGE but have not purchased either a pizza stone or the platesetter yet!