Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie with questions

hrchdog
hrchdog Posts: 40
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

New to the egg world but not to smoking. Gonna get my XLBGE this week and wondering what are the must have accessories after the plate setter, ash removal tool and grate lifter?

All my previous experience has been with a stumps clone I built, works excellant but it takes the same amount of lump to run it with just a couple butts as it does with 15 butts so i'm looking for something a little smaller.

Herrin,IL.

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    1. Good Thermometer (Thermopen) 2. Remote Thermometer (maverick) 3. Maybe not important on the XL , but a way to raise grid and or multi level cook. 4. Pizza stone if you want pizza off the egg I am new too , so some of this is my wish list ! Good luck and remember " if you don't take picture it didn't happen "
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    Just wondering if I got a deal or not, XLBGE, nest, platesetter, 20lb of bge lump, ash tool, grate lifter, and box of firestarters for $1400 tax included. What does everyone think?
    Herrin,IL.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Just wondering if I got a deal or not, XLBGE, nest, platesetter, 20lb of bge lump, ash tool, grate lifter, and box of firestarters for $1400 tax included. What does everyone think?
    Depends on where you're at - they're expensive to ship to the dealers, another guy who just posted had a quote of 950-980 for just the egg.  But he may be down the street from HQ.  Plate setter is about 100.
    offer $1300, sounds close thou. Might wanna just get the egg and the nest. If you've got a shop vac you don't need the ash tool, a good set of welding gloves will replace the grate lifter too. Before you get the plate setter, you might wanna check out some of the offerings from the ceramic grill store.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Personally, I love the grate lifter on the web page shown below.  I  find it easy to use and better than the pliers like tool.  Also a wiggle rod can be very useful. 

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Personally, I love the grate lifter on the web page shown below.  I  find it easy to use and better than the pliers like tool.  Also a wiggle rod can be very useful. 

http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Thanks for the link" I have wondered where thr modified air vent could be found
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359

Thirdhand can't be beaten.

Bottle opener of course....