Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lockhart, TX

FlyingTivo
FlyingTivo Posts: 352
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had late lunch at Kreuz with the wife, there was no ribs but ordered Brisket, jalapeño and cheese sausage and a slice of prime rib.
The Prime Rib was overcooked to my liking, but the sausage was very good! Brisket as usual, very good since they serve it flat and point
together!
imageimage
Men, easier fed than understood!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    No ribs?? Boo!!

Oh well, nothing like some good TX BBQ on butcher paper!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 18
    I've always thought Black's has it all over Kreuz's.  Last time at Kreuz's, I thought the brisket was dry, and I recall that they were out of ribs then, too.  Black's is always spot on.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Went to Blacks when we were in Texas about 5 months ago and had a Beef rib and some brisket.  Both were excellent and I'd go back in a minute if we lived closer.  Long line to get in but worth the wait.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Don't forget about Smitty's (the orginal Kreutz before the old man died and the kids split the 2 businesses. No Christmas cards between those 2 :)

I don't like either of their briskets. they cook them in 4 hours at like 400 degrees. TO me, they are sausage and rib places but tons of fun to get there

Blacks is good but can be wildly inconsistent. They do have the best brisket in Lockhart though. Now that we have Franklin BBQ and J. Mueller's here in Austin, my trips to Lockhart are pretty much over unless I'm just driving through. Both of them are better than anything in Lockhart

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Sounds like I'll have to visit Austin the next time I'm down that way.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I wasn't going to chime in but if you are in that area again, I recommend City Market in Luling.  It is right down the road from Lockhart.  To me, City Market is consistently better than Kreuz, Smitty's or Blacks.  I have never tried Chisholm Trail in Lockhart, but plan to one day.  Heading down to Rockport this weekend (well...Thursday) and plan to stop at City Market fo sho.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    lakewade, have you tried City market in Giddings or Snow's in Lexington.  Friends who life in Lockhart say Chisholm Trail is the local's favorite.  We also like City Market in Lulling.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • snow's was Texas Monthly's best bbq in TX last year. I haven't gotten out there yet. I'm with lakewade on City market Luling. It's awesome. Still Like Franklin BBQ better than all others but really want to get to Snow's. They are only open Saturdays from 8 AM to close and they are in the middle of nowhere.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    I have been to Blacks like 10 times and its much better, but it was like 15 years ago that i visited Kreuz and just wanted to re-visit. I will definetly try City Market in Luling next time!

Thanks guy´s!
    Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    snow's was Texas Monthly's best bbq in TX last year. I haven't gotten out there yet. I'm with lakewade on City market Luling. It's awesome. Still Like Franklin BBQ better than all others but really want to get to Snow's. They are only open Saturdays from 8 AM to close and they are in the middle of nowhere.
    8 AM to close? I like those hours. It leaves room for creativity. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • snow's was Texas Monthly's best bbq in TX last year. I haven't gotten out there yet. I'm with lakewade on City market Luling. It's awesome. Still Like Franklin BBQ better than all others but really want to get to Snow's. They are only open Saturdays from 8 AM to close and they are in the middle of nowhere.
    8 AM to close? I like those hours. It leaves room for creativity. 

It's actually 8am until they run out of meat. Which is always before noon.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2012
    Has anyone tried Opies in Spicewood or Coopers in Llano? Recommend getting to Snows early, especially during football season. Lots of Dallas aggies stop there on the way to Aggieland
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lakewade
    lakewade, have you tried City market in Giddings or Snow's in Lexington.  Friends who life in Lockhart say Chisholm Trail is the local's favorite.  We also like City Market in Lulling.
    Yes on Giddings - drive through there all the time.  No on Snow's, but it is on the list!  

-----------
  • lakewade
    Has anyone tried Opies in Spicewood or Coopers in Llano? Recommend getting to Snows early, especially during football season. Lots of Dallas aggies stop there on the way to Aggieland
    Coopers all the time. Recommended.

-----------
  • lakewade
    snow's was Texas Monthly's best bbq in TX last year. I haven't gotten out there yet.
    Let's do it soon.  (I still haven't made Franklin though!)

-----------
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Don't forget about Smitty's (the orginal Kreutz before the old man died and the kids split the 2 businesses. No Christmas cards between those 2 :)

Actually, I heard they have buried the hatchet. Rumors are they ar joining forces and opening a new restaurant in Austin. Supposedly, they are going to take coals from both restaurants and take them to the new place when it is finished to start the fire.

I think the 4 in Lockhart can all be hit or miss. Depends on the day and time you get there. I've enjoyed everyhting I've gotten at Chisholm. Next time we head tot eh ranch, I'll be stopping at Luling to try it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Pork N Stein
    Pork N Stein Posts: 157
    +1 for Luling City Market, had a client in Seguin years ago who introduced me to that place and I've been a fan since.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • TarHeelBBQ
    TarHeelBBQ Posts: 317

I work that market all the time.  The best down there is Salt Lick.  Go to the orignial one.  20$ all you can eat.  BYOB. 

I promise you will enjoy.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

• snow's was Texas Monthly's best bbq in TX last year. I haven't gotten out there yet.
    Let's do it soon.  (I still haven't made Franklin though!)
    I'm in. Let's do Franklin for lunch one day this week. It's much easier on a weekday

• Has anyone tried Opies in Spicewood or Coopers in Llano? Recommend getting to Snows early, especially during football season. Lots of Dallas aggies stop there on the way to Aggieland
    Coopers all the time. Recommended.
    Opies just OK. Coopers is the bomb. They have one in New Braunfels and Ft Worth in the stockyards now. All 3 locations are excellent. The dude at Opies worked at Coopers and broke out on his own. Not as good but we eat there when we are driving out that way. 
  • lakewade
    I'm in. Let's do Franklin for lunch one day this week.
    Maybe Wednesday?

-----------
  • I'm in. Let's do Franklin for lunch one day this week.
    Maybe Wednesday?
    tomorrow or Friday. Next week is good all week

• lakewade
    tomorrow or Friday. Next week is good all week

Got work stuff tomorrow and heading to beach Thursday.  I will catch you next week then.

-----------
  • tomorrow or Friday. Next week is good all week

Got work stuff tomorrow and heading to beach Thursday.  I will catch you next week then.
    10-4

Glad you finally got some beach time in this summer :)

• lakewade
    Glad you finally got some beach time in this summer :)
    Yeah I am trying to find a way to live down there and commute back up here to work.  That is my goal.

-----------
  • That would be awesome! You are half way there as much as you've been down there this summer. Get a place with a spare room. We'll split an egg and keep it down there to make it official.
  • I work that market all the time.  The best down there is Salt Lick.  Go to the orignial one.  20$ all you can eat.  BYOB. 

I promise you will enjoy.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

It's a good one for sure.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Have not made Franklins in Austin but 100% report it is out of this world good. Don't  forget Iron Works (good lunch) and Green Mesquite, both good. But I am told not as good as Franklins.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    edited July 2012

Don't forget about Smitty's (the orginal Kreutz before the old man died and the kids split the 2 businesses. No Christmas cards between those 2 :)

I don't like either of their briskets. they cook them in 4 hours at like 400 degrees. TO me, they are sausage and rib places but tons of fun to get there

Blacks is good but can be wildly inconsistent. They do have the best brisket in Lockhart though. Now that we have Franklin BBQ and J. Mueller's here in Austin, my trips to Lockhart are pretty much over unless I'm just driving through. Both of them are better than anything in Lockhart

I've been to both Franklin and J Mueller and their brisket is amazing. In fact, I bought a couple of lbs to bring back to Houston on the July 4th weekend for a big feast with family and friends :)>-  Have heard about Snow's but I heard they ran out their meat pretty quick around 11 or so. In fact, a friend of mine went there and they ran out of meat when he got there around 11:30.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Have not made Franklins in Austin but 100% report it is out of this world good. Don't  forget Iron Works (good lunch) and Green Mesquite, both good. But I am told not as good as Franklins.

come on up- I owe you lunch anyway. Franklin runs circles around those 2 places. J Mueller's is a close 2nd, then Salt Lick, the everybody else