Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which grate for fish?

Options
AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have some Sea Bass to grill tonight. Which grate is better for fish...the standard SS, or the CI?
Thanks....

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have good luck with the SS.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    I'm doing (for the first time) halibut on the carbon steel swing rack tonight.  If it turns out well I'll let you know.  If not....................
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I bought this at a grocery and cut it down for the mini. I think about a buck a sheet. Then oiled it good and cooked the shrimp burgers. Wished I had used it for the grouper as well.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't think it matters.  The fish is going to stick on it either way until you cook the water off the surface.  Let it cook and get a big mothaflippin' spatula.  If it's a small delicate filet, you might overcook it trying to get it unstuck.   There's a zillion types of sea bass, if it's meaty and thick, you should be fine with whatever.
    Options
    Have some Sea Bass to grill tonight. Which grate is better for fish...the standard SS, or the CI?
    Thanks....
    Very interested on how the Sea Bass works on Egg. Just never tried it outside.Please tell how you do it and pic's as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    I wonder how Frogmats would work. Good up to 550 degrees http://frogmats.com/Home_Page.php
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2012
    Options
    i did ling cod fillet with olive oil direct on SS grid no issues came out perfect.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wonder how Frogmats would work. Good up to 550 degrees http://frogmats.com/Home_Page.php
    Worst.  Website.  Ever.  I had to google Frogmats and look at images to figure out what they are, because I didn't feel like spelunking through bright red and blue text on a black background (and no obvious links or descriptions.  Big dealer map, though).
    Options
    Yeah....got the same impression when I tried to go there too.

I guess I was thinking that the SS grate might a bit better because of less surface area touching the fish. And yeah, I know it's gonna stick no matter what I use. I use the SS grate, and a big spatula. It's pretty thick, so I'm not too concerned.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Worst.  Website.  Ever.  I had to google Frogmats and look at images to figure out what they are, because I didn't feel like spelunking through bright red and blue text on a black background (and no obvious links or descriptions.  Big dealer map, though).
    Great product though. Honestly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Sorry had to go to the side to dealers and hit there link here's a direct link to a dealer https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/bbq-accessories?manufacturer=172 As above poster says they are excellent for all non stick cooking. I didn't do a dealer link @ first just in case you wanted to use your local dealer. The one I listed carry all the Frogmats
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks....
    Very interested on how the Sea Bass works on Egg. Just never tried it outside.Please tell how you do it and pic's as well.
    It's awesome. We do it all the time. Did Halibut last night and it was fantastic too (I got my revenge on that last piece if fish I turned to charcoal a week or so ago.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Sea Bass turned out Grate(pun intended). I used a bit of salt and fresh ground pepper, and a bit of garlic.  I threw in a few alder chips too....made for a very, very mild smoke flavor.

I grilled it on the SS grate at about 500° or so. The fish was pretty thick, over 1"

• AleBrewer
    Options
    Sorry, no finish pic....too much of this:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sea bass is up next for the egg.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I use a basket.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Baysidebob
    Options
    I'm doing (for the first time) halibut on the carbon steel swing rack tonight.  If it turns out well I'll let you know.  If not....................
    It worked out well.  No stick at all.  Nice marks.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Sea bass is up next for the egg.
    You won't be disappointed. It was a bit pricey though....like $22/lb. I got a bit over 1lb for two of us.

Lobster is only $4.99/lb though. May have to do a few lobsters on the egg soon.
  • Baysidebob
    Options

Sorry, no finish pic....too much of this:
    I feel your pain.  Halibut and potato wedges with pics here but will post them in the AM if I can find them.  It's not an egg, it's a lifestyle!