Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig - Two Thumbs Up

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
We cooked two flank steaks on Saturday. One steak I used Jakes Meat Rub (Has coffee in it) and it came out good. 

The other steak I used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick - OMG - Good stuff!

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Did you do a blind test? I wonder how much of taste is influenced by preconceived thoughts, aka guys read a Dizzy Pig thread where everyone loves it. I like it too, dob't get me wrong, but I bet some like it more because theyre told it is so goodd! Of coyrse, this isn't limited to dizzy pig. Lol thinking outloud, glad you liked it regardless.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Well the two rubs were totally different flavors.  I have been making my own rubs but the Cow lick added some great flavor to a basic flank steak. 

Garnerville, NY
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I was just looking at the website, any suggestions on which of their rubs to order. I picked out a couple and a sampler pack but shipping was so high I didn't order. Will look for a local dealer.
    George
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    I was just looking at the website, any suggestions on which of their rubs to order. I picked out a couple and a sampler pack but shipping was so high I didn't order. Will look for a local dealer.
    It really depends on your taste buds. Everyone seems to have their own favorites. I find that my favorite on chicken and fish is the Raging River and Tsunami Spin. My favorite on pigs is Dizzy Dust, and I like the Cowlick and Red Eye on cows.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    I think DP's descriptions are pretty accurate. Their reccomendations for which rub is right for which type of meat are spot on. Except swamp venom, for me, I put that Sh!t on everything!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I got the Tsunami Spin as well and hopefully will try it later this week on chicken.

Garnerville, NY
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    I think DP's descriptions are pretty accurate. Their reccomendations for which rub is right for which type of meat are spot on. Except swamp venom, for me, I put that Sh!t on everything!
    I'll second this.  We love Tsunami too, but Swamp Venom may be the most versatile.  Really good stuff.  Not sure what those Dizzy Pig guys are up to but they have come up with some great stuff.  Cen-Tex gave me my first bottle and I have since sent about $200 up to Dizzy Pig headquarters.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll second this.  We love Tsunami too, but Swamp Venom may be the most versatile.  Really good stuff.  Not sure what those Dizzy Pig guys are up to but they have come up with some great stuff.  Cen-Tex gave me my first bottle and I have since sent about $200 up to Dizzy Pig headquarters.
    I just dropped a hundo on them 2 minutes ago. ordered a quart of Tsunami and Redeye and a shaker each of the new fajita, bombay curry and  a shaker of Raging River too. I'm loaded up on everything else. If you haven't tried the Jamaican Firewalk, it's awesome too.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    I just dropped a hundo on them 2 minutes ago. ordered a quart of Tsunami and Redeye and a shaker each of the new fajita, bombay curry and  a shaker of Raging River too. I'm loaded up on everything else. If you haven't tried the Jamaican Firewalk, it's awesome too.
    I have not tried the Firewalk but I'm fixin' to.  What's a few hundred bucks for a few bottles of powder after all?  Love it!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have not tried the Firewalk but I'm fixin' to.  What's a few hundred bucks for a few bottles of powder after all?  Love it!
    I have a full bottle of firewalk. Come get some if you want to try it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX