Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To mini or not to mini?

hopkinsusmc87
hopkinsusmc87 Posts: 250
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thinking of buying a mini, but I'm wondering if it's worth it? I know there are a lot of multi egg users out there so what are your thoughts and how do you incorporate the use of the mini into everyday cooks? 300 bones is a lot of scratch.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I use the mini quite a bit it, in fact,  my everyday cooking is done mainly on the mini and the small.  The large is used for big cooks. I have cooked everything from steak to migas to crepes to pizzas to a small turbo butt on the mini.  If you purchase a mini I recommend getting a mini woo from Tom at CGS and two small pizza stones.   
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Don Toyota uses two mini's. He has a large and had other eggs but uses his mini's most of the time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I love the large and use it for the large cooks as you all say. I like the idea of the mini because it's just me the wife and sometimes the daughter, if she is not running around with her friends. So the mini would be great for smaller cooks. Is it light enough to bring on fishing trips or picnics?
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have been going through this dilemma as well. I think I will go with a small though (especially since I just ordered a Potlifter). I visited a dealer this weekend and they wanted $379 not including the nest for the mini! My somewhat-local dealer wants 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136

I love the large and use it for the large cooks as you all say. I like the idea of the mini because it's just me the wife and sometimes the daughter, if she is not running around with her friends. So the mini would be great for smaller cooks. Is it light enough to bring on fishing trips or picnics?

I'm usually cooking for just two and if it'll fit on the Mini I'll use it. According to the specs on the BGE site, the Mini weighs 39 lbs. As long as you're not too far from your car, the Mini is great for picnics, camping, & fishing.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    edited July 2012
    My wife gave me a mini today for my birthday. Next to my large I wasn't quite sure what I'd do with it. But tonight I did some of the best burgers yet and we're taking the little guy camping for several days and already changing our meal plans. I already ordered a mini woo and ceramic stones so I can do a small weight low and slow pork shoulder and I'm thinking rib eyes would be perfect because of the proximity to the lump. I could have never learned on the mini and the large has been great for that. But I really thought a small would be the ideal next Egg but it's a bit big for camping. The mini will be a lot of fun I think.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    I was torn between the mini and a small to accompany my large. Ended up going with a small, wanted a little more grill space. I will be taking it camping as well. In the end, I believe either size would be a good choice. There is a U tube video of what you can cook on a mini. It is quite remarkable. If this is your first egg, you are going to enjoy it. As far as the $ goes. Yea $300 clams is a lot of doe, but if you look after the egg it will last you many many years to come. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Thanks for the comments, I figured the mini would be great if it was just me and the wife and I could use the large for like cooking corn and use the mini to do the steaks. I love roasted corn and tend to always cook at least six ears, so having that kind of set up would be great. I also like cooking squash, so again having the LG to do the veggies and the mini for meat would be a good set up. I think I'm sold on the idea, I just want to see if it's worth it?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited July 2012
    If you get the mini, and will be getting a stand, make sure you get the one like Mickey shows in the above photo. The older style is round, was originally made for the chiminea, and is known to have issues (below).
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Mini.  Get it
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • schwaggy
    edited July 2012
    If you get the mini, and will be getting a stand, make sure you get the one like Mickey shows in the above photo. The older style is round, was originally made for the chiminea, and is known to have issues (below).
    I was coming back to ask this exact question... Mine was new old stock from the dealer and came with the older stand (it was the only mini they had in stock). Also missing the ceramic cap. Anybody think I should press my dealer for the newer model stand and have the cap included? I have already noticed it moves around in the stand when opening the dome. Doesn't seem too safe. Also noticed the handle on some of the newer minis is a simpler piece of wood on a wire and not the traditional BGE branded rectangle... Oh, and my hinge mechanism seems different, a bit more robust than the current one arm I've seen lately. So many random production changes...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If the dealer balks about the stand, mention you're worried your house might catch on fire. 
    You actually have the newer mini. With the price increase in the spring, the handle changed to the heftier version as did the hinge. And I would definitely press for the cap. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • R2Egg2Q
    The problem with the old stand is this: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1068463/mini-stand Folks have put some high temp tape and/or leftover gasket in 3 spots around the stand to reduce the contact with the Egg & allow it to expand a little during use.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    edited July 2012
    @ schwaggy  I would press for you ceramic cap as that is how you cut it off after cooking. I never use the metal on, only the ceramic. Used to have that old style stand and bought the new one and got the new one with the new Mini. 99% of the time a customer not getting cap is because a customer or employee opened the Mini and busted the top.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• schwaggy
    edited July 2012
    My dealer is pretty sweet. They found my cap in their warehouse and have ordered the better stand (Nest?) for me to pick up this week. I would have insisted on the cap as I have already found the cast iron daisy wheel doesn't seem to be as efficient shutting the lump down as it does with my lbge. All in all, I'm glad I asked! Glad to hear I have the newer mini based on the hinge redesign. I actually thought they might have started shipping them recently with the less robust parts.
    Looks to me like I got a new style mini with the old stand.
  • Mickey
    What size is you grate? 9.5 or 10"..... It only matters if you want a Mini Woo as they will only fit the 10".

• Don Toyota uses two mini's. He has a large and had other eggs but uses his mini's most of the time. 
    Don Toyota haha! Any relation to Don Quixote?
  • schwaggy
    What size is you grate? 9.5 or 10"..... It only matters if you want a Mini Woo as they will only fit the 10".
    Thanks Mickey - it's 10" - I confirmed that before ordering from CGS. But... that was part of my confusion as to which mini I actually had. Do you know why the mini comes with porcelain coated grate as opposed to stainless?
    I also ordered the 8.5" ceramic stones from Amazon and have a High-Que fire grate and new nomex gasket on the way. My mini will be rockin' it in style by this weekend! Might actually try indirect low and slow on the little guy.

Is BGE the only place to get a 10" cast iron grid?
  • Mickey
    edited July 2012

Never seen a 10" cast iron grid.

They do have 10" SS grids for sale  now.

The new ones (few years back) came with 10" porcelain and Egg ordered for SS. But the 9.5" was used to make the NEW grid and now they have to get rid of the ordered 9.5" SS. It is a crap shoot as to what you get now.

One more item you need with the Mini Woo: The 9" Lodge griddle. It fits the Woo like made for it. Well two more things: also a 10" Wok from The Wok shop, ask for Ms Chan. Note the first pic has the old stand / replaced with new stand.

imageimage

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2012
    i can confirm u can use the 9.5 on the woo with very little issues. my 10" is sitting untouched from cgs since it wasnt a must. it will be usefull later but i made more an issue than needed on the 9.5 its just fine. also once you get the gasket put leftover on the ceramic cap it will snuff out the fire quicker.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    @ SkinnyV it is not a good idea to use that 9.5 with the new Mini Woo. It is made only for the 10" in the last year or so. You are not getting the fit and hold that is needed.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2012
    @ SkinnyV it is not a good idea to use that 9.5 with the new Mini Woo. It is made only for the 10" in the last year or so. You are not getting the fit and hold that is needed.
    true u can get a little movement if i was to scrape the grate or knock it while cooking. just wanted to point out that you can use it and not let it hold you back from the woo. if you have the extra cash pick up the correct grate but ive done dozens of cooks, pizza,fish , steaks no issue of a moving grate. my 10" is sitting nice and pretty cause i have simply not "needed " to swap it.
    but yes its not a true locked in fit like the 10", and for safety reasons may not be recommended.
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Like SkinnyV, I've carefully used the 9.5" grid on the Woo for almost a year. I had a heck of a time finding a 10" grid. I just got a 10" SS grid from CGS & cut the cross bars down to fit my Woo (mine is from before Tom started notching them) so my Mini is legit now :).

Bay Area, CA
  • Man I never thought the mini could do all this. I'm sold, when is payday? Love all the information and the you tube videos were great.
  • Mickey
    Enjoy it man.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    blah blah blah!!!!! The Don has spoken. I, for one, will listen. Thanks for the advise based on experience. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  •  We had Kari and her son for dinner tonight.  The cowboy rib eyes went on the small and the twice baked taters on the mini.  
    The taters:
    Perfect fit.  The mini rocks
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • See that! I'm impressed with the mini. Great stuff.