Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out my HUGE lump!

newegg13
newegg13 Posts: 231
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got my first couple bags of Wicked Good this week.  Figured I'd give it a shot, so I had some delivered to my local Ace Hardware.  I have to say, it lived up to the hype.  It burned hot and long, and good Lord it had some HUGE pieces!

Check out the enormo-lump:

imageimage

I'm still a BGE noob, so I still need to try Royal Oak (red) to see if the quality/cost balance is a good compromise.  As of now, however, WG has my heart.  

Agree or disagree?  Discuss.
Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL

Comments

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Man that looks like a meteor.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    That's huge. As a newbie, give Humphrey a try. Also nice big pieces.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I'm just gonna through this out there... But isn't there such a thing as too big? What could you even do with that?

XLBGE 
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Question: Will that piece burn the same as a few smaller pieces. Just wondring is this much bigger better?
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Love Wicked Good. Amazing lump.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ...must...restrain...myself...from making....poop....joke...

I'm just gonna through this out there... But isn't there such a thing as too big? What could you even do with that?

I'd say yes, bigger than your fist and it won't be that useable, it won't burn evenly so could only really be used for low and slow, thinner log shaped pieces are ok providing they're not too thick
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    could someone please share with me the virtue of such a massive chunk of lump?

i think we've heard "large chunks" so often over the years, with reference to a good base for the fire (overnight), that the assumption now is that the bigger the better.

last bag of cowboy i opened had three or four of them, and they just do not burn evenly or contribute anything to a high heat cook.  and not sure what the do for a low and slow either.

take it to the extreme, where your twenty pound bag of lump is made up of ONE 20 pound lump.  wouldn't exactly burn very well.

like with a coal fired forge, the best (hottest) fire comes from lots of air coursingthru the space between many pieces, since it's the surface that burns.  the bigger the chunks, the less surface area, and less fuel available to burn

i dunno.  maybe it's just me.  one of the most surprising fires i  ever had (a no-fuss overnight during a blizzard, where i had lo expectations for success) was fueled by a fire where i had to top off the bed with the chips and dust from the end of a bag (nowhere to get another bag at 10pm).

maybe i'm just pretty laissez faire when it comes to lump i guess
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RocEGG
    RocEGG Posts: 89
    I bought two bags of Wicked Good WW a few weeks ago and one of the bags had an even larger chunk than the one above. It is pretty useless to me, wont even fit in the XL with the Woo in there, it is too large to fit under the lower ring. I think I am going to put it on the concrete walk in the back and whack it with a sledge. Need to break it down into useable pieces. I'd agree on the huge pieces being useless. I've had the best luck with smaller than fist size, maybe 2-3 inch diameter. Those get really nice and hot.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • Be interesting to know if it was carbonised all the way through
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I just wack those suckers with my grid lifter. They break pretty easy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Roob
    Roob Posts: 9

I believe Newegg13 was just trying to show that he got lots of big lumps with this brand.  You don't need a sledge hammer to break this "too big" piece into 4-6 very good fist-sized pieces.  A moderate tap on he sidewalk or striking with hammer (moderate force) will bust it into more suitable pieces.

Ideally you would purchase a bag with optimally sized pieces of lump.  However, if you don't get that bag, the next best is to get with one with oversized pieces - you can always break them into smaller pieces.  However, you can't do the reverse.  You can't take a bag with lots of litte pieces and then make the pieces bigger.

There is such a thing as too big, but it's the kind of problem that is easily remedied with some minor inconvenience.

• newegg13

I believe Newegg13 was just trying to show that he got lots of big lumps with this brand.  You don't need a sledge hammer to break this "too big" piece into 4-6 very good fist-sized pieces.  A moderate tap on he sidewalk or striking with hammer (moderate force) will bust it into more suitable pieces.

Ideally you would purchase a bag with optimally sized pieces of lump.  However, if you don't get that bag, the next best is to get with one with oversized pieces - you can always break them into smaller pieces.  However, you can't do the reverse.  You can't take a bag with lots of litte pieces and then make the pieces bigger.

There is such a thing as too big, but it's the kind of problem that is easily remedied with some minor inconvenience.

Indeed.   Having too large of chunks is better than the alternative.

I just broke it up into smaller pieces. 

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506

Looks about the same size as the one my wife gave me when I spoke of a second egg!

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Hey miah, pinch a penny pools next to win Dixie in bulf breeze carries dizzy pig. Just a heads up.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • newegg13
    Noted. I'm going to pick some up next time I'm home.
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    I use wicked good for low and slow and royal oak for everything else.