Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

COSTCO Questions

Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
A Costco is going to open in my city in a month or two or three.  I see from this forum that many of you buy your meat there.  I have never been to a Costco but people tell me that it is like an upscale Sam's Club.  While I have purchased some meat from Sam's (years ago), I generally get my meat from a local supermarket that has a really nice meat department.  Any thoughts on the meat selection/grade/quality, etc at Costco or any other comments about the store in general?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I like the meat at Costco.  I also have a butcher that I like, but is a pretty good hike from our house.  I have to say, neither have let me down, mostly matter of convenience . One thing,  I only purchase ground meat fresh from the butcher.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Costco is the best for eyeglasses and hearing aids.  The food is geared toward restaurants and may be expensive.  But the meat is very good.  Choice.  Big cowboy ribeyes you won't get at the super market.  Wortth joining.  They also sell caskets.  You may recognize dishes from your local eatery that were pre-made at Costco.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • smoloney
    smoloney Posts: 30
    Costco thumbs up! meat very good

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    No bone in butts.  :(
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

Unless they are buying, 'behind the scenes", I don't see why any restaurant would be shopping at Costco.  The Costco I shop at has maybe 2 or 3 "pre-made" dishes, hardly something I'd expect to see at a restaurant.  That being said, I'm very happy with the NY Strips that I have TREX's from costco, as it SWMBO.

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    The Costco near me actually has "Prime" grade beef in smaller quantities, but it's nice for an occasional splurge. Great wine selection as well.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    The meat selection, quality, and prices at Costco are better than any of the supermarkets around here.  Most Costco's carry at least a small selection of prime meats as well.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Costco great, but if you if you want that 1 1/2 - 2 inch TRex's or Caveman steak you need to see your local butcher
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I would think Costco would be like Sam's.  I but whole Ribeyes at Sam's and ask the meat cutter to cut them at whatever thickness I want.  I have yet to have a problem.  So far so good at Sam's but my best steaks come from my local Winn-Dixie.  When the bone-in ribeyes, t-bones or porterhouses go on sale I stock up.  The butcher has gotten to know me and knows I am buying the whole piece.  I have gotten some really good tender steaks from Winn-Dixie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Costco great, but if you if you want that 1 1/2 - 2 inch TRex's or Caveman steak you need to see your local butcher
    Not necessarily.  My Costco regularly puts out a few steaks (usually ribeyes) that are just crazy thick.  And you can always buy whole pieces (whole tenderloin, rib roasts, NY strips) and cut your own steaks.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Also at costco you can order meats.. Just like fron a butcher. I ordered shoulders with bone in, and pork belly from costco. Rasonable pricing(better then local butcher) if its in costcos book of ordering.. You can get it. Also all of costcos ribs cone with the membrane off

I had no idead you could order meats, thanks for the info!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Costco is our first choice for pork loins (we cut our own chops, cutlets and roasts), pork tenderloin and chicken (whole or parts). They also have a good selection of sausage, Italian and some commercial brats. All of this seems to freeze well with little difference in taste from fresh. 
    Cream cheese is super cheap and Kirkland hardwood smoked bacon is great for ABT's. We have bought full beef tenderloin and trimmed at home, but usually just buy our beef as we need it at the supermarket, it seems to cook better if it is fresh. 

We find Costco to offer good value.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I get a lot of my meat at costco. Most of the time the prices are good, they have sales like anywhere else. Beef is usually choice, with some prime available. I have a chest freezer, so I tend to take advantage of their sales and stock up.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    njl good tip, I have pick uo the tenderloin, I will keep my eye out for new york.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We're getting our first Costco's in Mid-city in New Orleans next year.  I've shopped there in San Antonio when visiting the family a number of times.  I'm looking forward to the more "upscale" selection versus our local Sam's club.  We try to buy high quality food in bulk, food-saver it, and eat well.  The local groceries, like Winn-Dixie ("the beef people") cut their steaks about 1/2" thick, plus or minus 1/4", have to go to the more upscale local groceries with butchers that you can actually talk to for any specialized cuts, and it's pricy.
    We're getting our first Costco's in Mid-city in New Orleans next year.  I've shopped there in San Antonio when visiting the family a number of times.  I'm looking forward to the more "upscale" selection versus our local Sam's club.  We try to buy high quality food in bulk, food-saver it, and eat well.  The local groceries, like Winn-Dixie ("the beef people") cut their steaks about 1/2" thick, plus or minus 1/4", have to go to the more upscale local groceries with butchers that you can actually talk to for any specialized cuts, and it's pricy.
    BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA       =))
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited July 2012
    One thing I forgot. Pork tenderloins and pork sirloin roasts are packed in a sodium brine In our store both of those items come cyrovac'd from Swift
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I always talk to the butchers at costco when i need something, last week I tried to get them to cut me a picanha but they were out of sirloin :)