Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled ice cream

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, it didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped, but it tasted a lot better than it looks.  Formed ice cream into balls, and rolled in chopped up almonds that had been roasted on the Egg earlier in the day.  I figured the almonds would act as a layer of insulation for the ice cream.  Placed them on skewers then into the deep freeze for a few hours while the pork shoulder finished.  Cranked up the heat in the Egg and had flaming lava.  Coated the ice cream with marshmallow fluff then onto the Egg.  Started to get some browning of the marshmallow, but was also getting a bit of melting of it and the outside of the ice cream so I pulled them before they were fully toasted.  They had the taste of toasted marshmallow and the crunch of the nuts added another element.  

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Wow! Where did you get the idea from?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'll bet if you could get your hands on some liquid nitrogen, you could keep the ice cream from melting and get a nice bark on the marshmallows.
    Options
    I saw a recipe for baked Alaska (in the oven) and figured Ice Cream - good, Roasted almonds - good, toasted marshmallows - good.  Let's put them all together.  I think I should have froze the marshmallow after applying.
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    A for effort!  I love just-because-I-can cooks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• theman48
    theman48 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am going to try this but I going to use liquid nitrogen to get a deep freeze i let ya know how it goes

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    I finished my Bachelor's degree in Brookings, SD.  There was a mexican place that featured "fried ice cream" on the menu, they froze it very hard and then wrapped it in a tortilla, then deep-fried it; it was pretty good.
    And, I'll be honest, I'd MUCH rather eat fried tortilla than marshmallow fluff.  
    :P

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I worked at a Mexican place too.  They didnt really fry our fried ice cream instead they rolled ice cream balls in crushed corn flakes.  Cheating I know but the customers never knew.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Way to think outside of the box. I gotta say I think that's the frist time I've seen somebody try to grill ice cream.

I did see somebody try to smoke snow on another forum, but that was more of a joke and he "claimed" somebody must have stolen it when he came back a couple of hours later and the snow was gone. :))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    that's a great idea. keep at it until you perfect it. I think the liquid nitrogen would help get it to that deep frozen temp.
    context is important :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    I wonder if you could freeze it with the marshmallow fluff as well. hmmm. 
    context is important :)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    In retrospect, I see 2 issues.  The fluff has such a low melting point it was dripping before it could toast and set.  Second, I was too high above the fire. allowing the heat to melt everthing before browning.  I think I may have a solution to issue number 1 using actual marshmallow instead of fluff.  In my mind, the answer to issue 2 is to just get a mini Egg, but convincing my wife I need another Egg so that I can successfully toast a marshmallow covered icream ball is going to be tough.  Stay tuned.