Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Overnight -- Boston Butt with Pics

Wally_Wabash_03
Wally_Wabash_03 Posts: 95
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
All -- Following up on my earlier post today, as promised, I've started a new thread to "blog" my first overnight low and slow.  It's an 8.5 lb Boston Butt cooked on indirect (inverted plate setter) at approx 220.  I've used Butt Rub for the rub and a mix of apple and cherry, heavier on the apple.  Temp seems to be stabilized, so I'm off to bed.  There won't be more pics until it's done, but I'll keep you all posted.  

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Right there with you. My 9 pound shoulder went on around 9:00, holding steady at 225 dome temp. Rubbed with a mix of Famous Dave's Rib Rub and Stubbs Rub. Using Cherry wood for smoke.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    edited July 2012
    Looks like you should be having piggy dreams by now. Keep us posted for how it turns out.
  • It smells delicious, but I haven't been able to get the temp to stay stable enough that I feel comfortable going to sleep.  I had a layer of wood for smoking and once it hit that the temp spiked hard.  Seems like I have it back under control now--just about in time for morning coffee.  

Roast is at 165, right about the plateau where I expect it will stay for the next 10-12 hours.
  • The pork is rolling along, stuck in the 160s. Had quite a  bit of trouble keeping the temp up this morning.  Wondering if putting the soaked wood for smoking made the lump damp.  I dropped a new starter brick in and that seemed to get the coals going again.  It has held 280 for the last 20 minutes without problems.
  • Tjcoley
    I was lucky and held temp overnight with no problem.  Pork now 167 and holding.  Bumping dome temp up to 270 or so for the finish.  
  • Tjcoley
    Now at 180, so just a couple hours to go.  I'll FTC it and hold for dinner.
  • Tjcoley
    Just pulled it off and it is now resting in the cooler.  Taste tested a small piece (couldn't help myself) and it turned out great.
  • Just pulled the pork off at 207 degrees after approximately 16 hours.  It had a pretty good bark on it but, once opened, showed a nice smoke ring and was really moist on the interior.  With a bit of Eastern North Carolina sauce and a white hamburger bun, it did really well.  Also threw corn on the cob on the BGE, which we hadn't done before, and it was really solid.  

On the debrief, I think I never really got a good fire going last night and that's why I was fighting it to keep the temperature up.  Once I got a better fire going this morning, it hummed along between 250 and 280.  

It looks like I'll get the chance to do another overnight next weekend.  Suggestions? 
  • Tjcoley
    Make sure the Egg is cleaned out prior to the overnight cook, including making sure all the holes are clear.  I stabilized my temp for almost an hour before putting on the pork, assuring I had a good fire going and proper temp.