Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, 3rd attempt

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited July 2012 in Beef
I've got this 7.96lb choice flat that I bought at Costco 2 months ago.  Right after I bought it, I got sick and decided to freeze it.  It's been defrosted in the fridge (moved there Wednesday night), and I plan to smoke it this weekend (probably tomorrow).  At more or less 8lbs, I'm guessing this thing could take anywhere from 8 to 12 hours if I don't crutch it.  So, the first question is, when should I start it if I want it for dinner tomorrow?

I don't have any commercial rubs, so I'll probably just mix something up with brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder, ground black pepper, garlic and onion powders, little bit of cayenne, and maybe some dry mustard and celery seed.

We used to always cook brisket braised in water/wine in the oven, and got great results.  My last two attempts on the egg have not impressed.  Compared to braised brisket, they've been tough and dry.  First one was moved from egg to a cooler at 196F.  Second I took up to 207 before moving to the cooler.  Both times, as we made our way through the leftovers, it eventually got reasonably tender.

I've read Cen-Tex's long posts on brisket, but It think those assume a full packer, which has always seemed like just too much meat to me.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    A flat is quite a trick to hit a home-run with as the window of success is quite narrow.  I only have access to flats (may see a packer, hit or miss) and run around 260-270*f on the dome and will see somewhere around 1.8-2 hrs/lb til finished.  Try searching "Travis brisket and Big Green Egg" as he does a braising technique that has an extremely high success rate.  Since he's in Texas I'm sure he does a packer but it should work on a flat.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • If you love braised brisket, do Travis' method. it's like a hybrid smoke/braise and everyone who tries it really likes it

search for brisket.......how I do it from travis
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • And do these posts in the main forum. I never look on these other side forums unless they pop up on my phone or something
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    How did it work out?
  • njl
    Hasn't started yet.  I just cleaned out and reloaded the egg so I don't have to mess with that in the morning.  I'm going to try a half braising technique with a pan of beer, onions, garlic, and maybe some BBQ sauce.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I don't know if you have seen my monster thread from last weekend, but it would be worth your time to look it over.  Lots of good, suggestions, links, and tip for brisket there.  Next time I try it will be the Travis Method or braise and smoking.  
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Here is a pointer to Travis's method:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138233/brisket-how-i-do-it/p1

I'm trying a modified version of his recipe right now and will post the story and some pictures when it is done.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • njl
    Mine went on at about 10:30am, doing a variation of
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141813/pictures-lots-it-did-happen-first-packer-from-shady-maple/p1
    which is a variation of Travis's method.

It may be going a little too hot/fast.  I'm just over 1.5 hours at 300F dome/350F grid and the internal is 145F.
  • njl
    This one's being tricky.  I thought I was about done.  Mav said 195...so I went out and probed it a few times with the thermapen and found the fat side was 195F and like warm butter, but the meat below was still in the 170s and much firmer.  I flipped it, fat side down, which got a little sloppy as the fat cap started falling off.  Mav says 176F now...and I'm wondering when dinner will be.
  • it will be in the next few hours. If it really stalls out, bump up the temp. Everything else is totally normal. Although now you have thrown both sides in the braise which will kill your crust. Highlly recomend taking it out of the braise around 180-185 to let the crust firm up don't ever take the temp in the point (fat part) ignore that until the temp in the flat is 190-195. The point will hold moisture and be great well above the temp at which the flat is ready. only worry about the temp in the flat and the rest will follow
  • njl
    No...only the fat side was ever in the braise.  Remember...I'm doing the modified Travis method with the V/Roast rack in the braise pan.  It was in the rack fat side up for the first 2.5 hours, then in the pan fat side down for 2 hours, then moved back to the rack fat side up for another 2.5 hours, then flipped fat side down in the rack and that's where we are now.

So, I'm at 7.5 hours now.  What's really weird is, I was just out probing it some more, and the very center is in the mid 170s.  Anywhere else is 180s, or 190s.  The end where it was thickest (must be the fattiest part) is mid 190s and like butter all the way through.  Which temperature should I go by?  Should I call it done (bring it in, and wrap it for an hour)?
  • njl
    Ok...here's some pictures to liven up the thread:

The coals just after lighting:

The meat:

The pan:

Just as it was put on the egg:

Little bit of smoke?

Is it done yet?
  • njl
    Parts of it are in the 190s and 200s now.  It's super tender and that hot everywhere but dead center, where it's still a little tough and low 180s.  I think I'm going to call it done and wrap it in foil.
  • njl
    edited July 2012
    Wife was out running some errands, so it got a 2 hour rest on the counter wrapped in foil and towels.  She's not impressed, prefers our old braised in the oven method with onions, and then potatoes, and carrots in the pan for the finishing part of the cook.  I think it was on par with the better BBQ places I've eaten in town.  I'm a little confused though about the various parts of the meat.  The thinner end of the flat, the meat is relatively lean, and though it was reasonably tender, it dries out real quick.  I added some BBQ sauce to mine and was happy.  The thicker end, I actually wonder if there was some point left on this flat (at least I assumed it was a flat).  On the second slice from this end, it actually squirted out juices as the knife was going through.

Is this just a flat...or something more?

BTW...the stuff in the pan was ruined...I think the BBQ sauce I cut with the beers (it took 2) had too much sugar and it was a carbon soup mess.  I had to really pry the V rack out (one end had gotten fused into a pan/carbon/v-rack foot block).  I removed the plate setter, and put the v-rack in for a clean-burn, at least I'm hoping an hour or two at high heat will burn away all the BBQ sauce carbony crud on the rack's feet.