Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Out of lump. Going shopping this afternoon, any brand suggestions?

2»

Comments

• jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    I love Humphreys if you can find it.  It's made right here in PA, so it's pretty readily available to me.  You can order it and have it shipped, but tacking on the S&H makes it not worthwhile perhaps. My local True Value carries it.  If you have one, give em a call and ask.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i've never had airflow issues with chips on a ;low and slow cook honestly.  if you look at the tiny opening in the lower vent, that's ALL the free, open area (of free flowing air) that you need.  even with chips and chunks in the lump, you'll get plenty of airflow. it's really a concern only if they block the holes in the fire grate
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MikeGMikeG Posts: 174
    Starting out with chip sized lump makes it tough to reuse the now- smaller bits on the subsequent cook. Resident contrarians excepted I think we all agree that uniformity in lump size is preferred.
    stike said:

i've never had airflow issues with chips on a ;low and slow cook honestly.  if you look at the tiny opening in the lower vent, that's ALL the free, open area (of free flowing air) that you need.  even with chips and chunks in the lump, you'll get plenty of airflow. it's really a concern only if they block the holes in the fire grate