Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the BGE cookbook worth the money

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife was gonna but the BGE cookbook on her Kindle for me, but I wanted to find out if it is worth the money before I plunk down the cash for it. Thanks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Several weeks ago the same thread ran (you may want to try a search) and as I recall the great majority did not think it was worth full price and a few thought it was worth a discounted deal.  Personally, I have checked it over a few times and couldn't see the value.  That plus there are some very talented chefs who post great recipes here.  Searching here and using google and big green egg should satisfy all your cooking desires.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks nice on a coffee table. I haven't opened it. Been a couple of years now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I posted this Feb 2010 and not changed. Only my opinion of the new cookbook. First I think it is outstanding tool for people who own eggs and NOT involved in this forum (I am sure this is the vast majority of egg owners). The first time I opened the book it was to a recipe calling to soak the chips before putting on coals (I may be in the minority here, but I am in the do not soak camp). I noticed that this is in all references to wood in the book that I could find. For some reason it put me off a little. The next page before reading and just flipping I came to cornbread (2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal) just hard to understand after 60+ years of Southern Cornbread. The photography overall was good, but not better than lots and lots on the forum. Guys I understand that a few forum members are pro’s but we still have great photography on the forum. The book is 320 pages with only 30 pages (22 recipes) to egghead recipes and those NO CREDIT to cooks. And not what you read on the forum (little changes) I had the same opinion to the chapter of Rubs (not up to forum). Noticed that they put the pizza stone directly on platesetter (not air between) any time using both. No pulled pork? (that I found) For me, I can find (and have stored) many more and better (I said for me) recipes off the forum. I am let down with the book, (for me) was expecting the FORUM IN PRINT (I guess). If this was in a book store and I could sit and read it for 10 minutes before buying, I would pass. For me the forum is so much richer in information. Mickey Salado,TX http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Good question. Recent answers from users show that they would not want to pay retail $50 usd for it. The cookbook illustrates strange methods, some of which BGE customer service advices not to do. It has excellent photos, and gives inspiration. I own it and like it for the 35 bucks I paid, but you can use any recipe on your egg, so is the book necessary? I have found that this forum is a much better place for ideas, techniques, and recipes than the BGE book.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Here is the post Lou spoke of. Scroll to top. BGE cookbook worth it?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This forum is my BGE cookbook.
    Options
    Plus it advocates the dwell method for doing steaks and burgers and we have totally debunked that method on here several times. I can always tell who has that book because they always post that their steaks and burgers taste like soot- HELP!

it never fails that they are using the dwell method from the cook book and once we tell them to stop, their food magically tastes better.

Buyer beware IMO

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • the_alchemist83
    Options
    I purchased the Kindle version for only $9.99 before I was approved for the forums (took about a week for my approval).  After being on the forums, I don't know that I've used the cookbook at all since.  All the info you need is here and people are more than willing to help.  Luckily I'm out only $9.99 and not more.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    Thanks folks.  You just saved me 10 bucks.  Think I'll put it toward a dry-aged prime steak.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    In a word.. No.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    A waste of money.  I know, I bought one.