Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 LB Pork Shoulder

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I'm out of left-over pulled pork so why not throw one on?? I'm going to try a lower temp of 200°. I used Plow Boys Yard Bird on a trimmed shoulder, 50/50 mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar in the drip pan. Apple wood for smoke.

I've had the grill going at 175° without the meat and my Stoker is doing a perfect job. I bumped it up to 200° and put the meat on.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Looks a little like you're trying to resuscitate it! :D

Can't wait to see how this turns out at the lower temps. Should be a long one.
    XL BGE
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    10 pounds at 200 degrees...should be ready for dinner tomorrow. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Why such a low temp?  
  • bigguy136
    Options

Sorry, I was out tonight but I kept an eye on my grill from my blackberry.

Maybe a few too many temp probes. It's surprising how the three calibrated probes will very. The graph lines showing the temps will cross back and forth. In the end, I will only watch the two lowest temp readings for when I pull it.

I went with 200° pit and a 32° pork shoulder for the reason of getting more smoke flavor. I should have a few more hours with the meat below 140°. When the meat does get to ~145°, I will bump the pit to 250° and then for the last hour, I will go 300° to firm the bark.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Interesting.  You'll have a different chemistry of condensation with the meat basically acting as a condenser for longer than usual.  I'll follow this.
    Options
    Smoke flavor continues throughout the whole cook, the smoke ring forms until the meat reaches 140. You should have a nice smoke ring when its done.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the 140 temp reference is ONLY for the smoke ring.  you will always add smoke flavor no matter what the temp of the meat is.

and that 140 reference is at the surface, where the smoke ring is forming, not internal temp.

200 isn't much different than 250 in that regard.  it will be a good ring maybe, but it's not likely to be that huge a difference. the surface of the meat will hit 140 fairly soon.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Looks a little like you're trying to resuscitate it! :D

Can't wait to see how this turns out at the lower temps. Should be a long one.
    Yer killin me here! Too funny

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigguy136
    Options

It went 22 hours of cook time and 1 hour to get everything up and stable. Here is a screenshot from my Stoker. It worked perfect!image

And ready to come off the grill. With the lower temps, I didn't have to add more liquid to my drip pan that I normally need to do.image

And ready for the foil wrap.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Looks great.  You don't really need any water or juice in the pan when cooking on the BGE. It doesn't cause any harm, but the BGE is a very moist environment.
  • bigguy136
    Options

With having liquid in a pan, the dripping don't land on something dry and start to smoke/ burn. Not the smoke flavor I want. Maybe I could use just water.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Just use something to create an air space between the plate setter and the drip pan and your drippings won't burn. Some people use the BGE ceramic feet, some use copper pipe fittings or balled aluminum foil. I use four stacks of three pennies. Also lining the drip pan with foil makes clean easy.
  • bigguy136
    Options

Time for the joy of eating. Here are a few images after a 4 hour rest.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    So do you think poking at that temp made a noticable difference?
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks delicious
    Options
    Ahh yes, the joy of eating always makes me wish I had cooked more. Good cook.
  • bigguy136
    Options
    After eating it, I can say I honestly feel it was too soft. It was almost a mushy texture. I think it will be better re-heated.  

Big Lake, Minnesota