Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

make shift indirect

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to come up with a way to grill indirect for the short term. I have ordered a woo, stone, and pan for my small from Ceramic Grill Store. Trouble is we are heading out for a camping trip before the order will be here. Could I do an indirect, say pork butt with the little green feet on the grill and then an AF pan with the butt in it, or ribs that same way. Really looking forward to sitting around camp with a low and slo going. Any suggestions out there?
TIA
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    A few thoughts-the indirect piece is to deflect the direct heat from the lump away from the cook.  Meat in the pan just raised with the feet would end up more direct than indirect in my opinion (and we all know what those are worth:)).  Now if you had the pan on it's own grid and the meat on a grid above it I would think it should work just fine.  But I'm guessing here-hopefully someone who has real experience will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    I hear you. Just trying to see what I can come use around the house to deflect some of the heat. Any others out there, please chime in.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    What size is the egg? you could probably pick up a cheapo pizza stone or some fire bricks and put them on the grid then whatever food you're cooking on top of that in a pan with some spacers.
  • smokesniffer
    It is a small. Thanks for the help, I will check around for a pizza stone, have some bricks already.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    put your face looking at the sun,  that's direct.  put your hand in between your face and the sun.  that's indirect.

you want something to block the direct heat of the lump. if you simply put the butt in the pan, it will heat up the pan and cook the pork by contact.

i used a large flat rock once as my indirect barrier when camping. but i had a raised grid.

if you have nothing but the grid that comes with the egg, and the green feet, you will need something else.  even a roasting rack.

stock grid, AF pan, then a vee-rack or roasting rack to lift the meat above the level of the foil.  that would be a start.

if the meat is touching the pan though, and the pan is supposed to be your barrier, you will be frying the underside of the butt.

you want something between your meat and the fire, even if it is just foil.  and then you want airspace between your barrier and the meat.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

SS,

Just get some aluminum pie pans. Put some sand in one and put one on top for a drip pan.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    LOL @stike

LS - that's a neat idea, I'll probably use that sometime
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Try this. Using a disposable aluminum pan, edges curled up around grid to hang underneath.
    imageimage
  • Brownie
    Drip pan on top of grid with v rack
  • smokesniffer
    I have a 13" pizza stone, it pretty much covers the whole area of the small, would that be to much area covered? Will there not be enough air flow?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Brownie
    I did my first indirect this way (bone in loin end roast) and it worked well enough to get me by till my plate setter was purchased. Just be sure to use a drip pan above the grid because the juices from a butt will cause your pan to fall off the grid.
  • smokesniffer
    Sweet! Ok now I got some great ideas. Will check around and come up with some thing. When we get back from holidays, the CGS stuff should be here. I love the improvising everyone does.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @ Brownie-great way to get into the game with little investment.  Eggcellent approach!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.