Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ WiFi Issues

DaveM
DaveM Posts: 100
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just purchased the CyberQ WiFi.  I feel like I'm using my first PC back in 1980 as the interface is so limited.  Finally got Infrastructure Mode to work after removing all WEP security (it didn't like my password) and am now trying to get email alerts to work.  The world has settled on SSL security, but the CyberQ doesn't support it.  I created a gmx.com account (can't wait for the spam to start), but still can't get it to work.  Has anyone had any good success on this device?  It seems that once you finish suffering the retro interface, it will work nicely, but I'm not at that point, yet.  For the high price, I had much higher expectations.  My kids' Nintendo was less money and had a much nicer interface.
--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill

Comments

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Dave, improvements are coming from what I'm told. I recommend you contact the gurus and ask for Damian. He helped me and I had it up and running within minutes...email included. Hope this helps
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • d_epler
    d_epler Posts: 7
    I too have fought the interface!
    I finally gave up on the e-mail notification as I couldn't find a way to make yahoo or gmail work without SSL (and I'm an IT guy!!)

I DID manage to get it to work using WPA2 which is what I run on my wireless segment - WEP is virtually useless as a security method anyway - you should look into configuring WPA2 instead of WEP

MY big concern is that if I open it up to be reachable via the internet there is NO LOGIN SCREEN WHATSOEVER so anyone who connects to it can:

1) change my cook temps
    2) find out my WiFi password and SSID (which is hidden)
    3) reconfigure the CyberQ and steal internet service from my WiFi Access Point

These three alone are reasons to NOT use the device on the internet and not open up Port-80 to it!!

I also think that the connectors are not up to snuff -  not at this price point.
    I'd like to see a more secure electrical connection than a headphone jack.

After one overnight cook mine has stopped seeing the pit-temp probe altogether - and I tried several food probes as well NO LUCK!

I'll be contacting them tomorrow to see what to do.

When it was working, it DID work great, but as of now it was a single use device (till I get the pit-probe issue solved :( )

Dave in Tampa
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I'll give Damian a call tomorrow.  Otherwise, I think it will be returned.  I had really high hopes at such a high price.  I love the idea of checking in on an overnight smoke from my night table and getting email alerts if something was wrong (or done!).  Thanks for the tip.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • It isn't complicated to get the CyberQ working in infrastructure mode, but it does fall short of some other features that most would like to have.  Neither the Microchip wifi module nor the PIC controller in the CyberQ Wifi is implement SSL/TLS in any acceptable manner, so you can forget implementing SSL/TLS security for email login/relay.  The micro-web server that is supplied by Microchip for the PIC is capable of implementing password security to web pages, but I don't know what kind of remaining flash/RAM is available in the PIC implementation of the CyberQ to address this feature.  The connectors on the unit are more than suitable for the low voltage/low current thermocouple application however.  I am not sure what else you would expect to see for that.

You can implement email/text messages with this unit using an email relay server like hMailServer, an open source email server used in many applications to implement forwarding for other devices like photocopiers and all-in-one fax machines that don't do SSL/TLS either.  You will need a PC that is on all the time to run the little hMailServer application however.  hMailServer can be easily configured to relay from the CyberQ to and through services like Gmail.  Here is a link to an explanation for configuring hMailServer that works for others I have helped configure CyberQ.  I don't personally use this configuration as I have a Postfix server here, but I understand from others that it works well.

Other units have similar issues with email/text, but another popular device does have a "security" option to put a password on the critical pages.  I haven't tried this unit out personally, so I can't tell you how robust the security is, but knowing the processor in use, it isn't bullet proof.  On the other hand, there really isn't an operating system with services to hack in these units, so the risk of relay attacks through them is minimal.  The risk of someone in Slovenia changing your cook temperatures is very real, so I absolutely agree with the post above that you don't forward any port to the CyberQ.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    I was told by Damian that improvements are very close, as a dealer I had concerns similar to what's been posted above. Should someone call and speak with Damian please repost on this thread and let us know what's up. At this point I'd prefer the digi but I'm not ready to give up on the cyber yet...I do think better things will happen with this device
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com