Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please forgive me - fired up the gasser for the first time since getting my Egg

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I had my LBGE all prepped and loaded for an overnight pork shoulder (cooking away at 225 dome overnight, then will bump up the temp in the AM). Family decides they wanted burgers for dinner. Didn't want to super heat the Egg for the burgers just a couple hours before doing a low and slow, so I fired up the gasser for the first time since getting my Egg. Hoping to use this as a good reason I need a second Egg.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Seems legit. What did the Fam think of the gasser burgers in comparison to what they've been enjoying from the egg??
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Family thought they were ok, but not near as good as the ones done on the Egg (450 raised grid) I did a couple of weeks ago.
  • So (at TJ knows) I'm doing a low and slow roast overnight too.  I did burgers on the BGE at lunch -- it was quite the chore to get it sufficiently cooled down to be able to clean it out before building the fire for the pork roast.  

First time I had done the burgers, which I did at ~650.  A little too charred for my taste -- I will have to watch them more carefully next time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    No issue, it is the right tool for the job. We often use our gas grill for hot dogs and burgers, even the odd quick chicken breast or butterfly sausage.

The egg works wonders, but sometimes it is just not fast enough for a routine meal, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cazzy
    Tjcoley said:

Family thought they were ok, but not near as good as the ones done on the Egg (450 raised grid) I did a couple of weeks ago.

That's your opening then. Time to make the pitch the wife for a 2nd egg to compliment your large. I suggest a small...but that's because I have the combo and love it!! Two eggs will allow you two temp cooking and it's great for steaks too.
  • cazzy

So (at TJ knows) I'm doing a low and slow roast overnight too.  I did burgers on the BGE at lunch -- it was quite the chore to get it sufficiently cooled down to be able to clean it out before building the fire for the pork roast.  

First time I had done the burgers, which I did at ~650.  A little too charred for my taste -- I will have to watch them more carefully next time.
    Have fun w/ your overnighter!

Howd you prep your meat? 650 is fine for the initial sear, but seems a lil high for the entire cook.
  • Howd you prep your meat? 650 is fine for the initial sear, but seems a lil high for the entire cook.
    It was just basic salt and pepper.  I gave it about 7 minutes on each side -- think 3-4 per would have easily sufficed, even leaving the second side lower at around 500.  
  • cazzy
    At that temp, seems pretty long and explains your char. I'm sure the grease got you a few flare ups too.

Thermapen?
  • No -- I have a Polder that I use for longer stuff, but I am new and am trying to develop a "feel" for the food without the thermometers.  I think next time I either need to go lower after the first few or just take them off significantly sooner.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I think 450 raised grid is the perfect temp for burgers. It gives you a little leeway vs. the 600+ cooks.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    We keep our gasser for the wife. She thinks the gasser is faster and more user friendly. Plus she is not comfortable using the Egg.
  • VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    My gasser has been fired up twice since getting the egg.  Both times by SWMBO when I wasn't around.  I'll get her converted eventually.

Did some burgers last night around 450.  Awesome according to my teenagers (I agreed with them).   I need to make something temporary to get the grid raised.  My potatoes need to finish a little further from the fire.

I really need to get an adjustable rig, but I'll get in trouble if I treat myself so close to my birthday.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    @T listen to what Cazzy says. Go with the second egg. I just got a small to compliment my large, Cazzy was instrumental is helping me (along with others  ;) ) I have only just gotten the small a couple of day ago and have done one grill with it, but it is going to be a real + for us. Second temp is going to be real handy. And then the idea of being able to tailgate, take it camping etc. Give it some thought, don't think you'd regret it, we sure aren't.  :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    smokesniffer  I would love a small as a second for a tag along (camping, picnic) and a cold smoke generator. My closest dealer has a 25% off sale in January so I'm holding out until then.

• Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    I gave my gasser to my parents and haven't looked back.
  • cazzy
    Badong said:

I gave my gasser to my parents and haven't looked back.

Bad son!! :P

• jeffcaputo
    jeffcaputo Posts: 15
    The gasser next to my egg works great to store my BGE cast iron grill and plate setter when not in use. Other then that I only use it for hot dogs at lunch
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489

The gasser next to my egg works great to store my BGE cast iron grill and plate setter when not in use. Other then that I only use it for hot dogs at lunch

My gasser went to the scavengers.  My off-set may as well if I don't grow pumpkins over it.  I'm not knocking gassers.  I used one frequently when I was employed.  I am not seeking employment,  I'm seeking Bar-B-Que.

My actuary says I'm dead.