Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3M 77 Adhesive Help Question!

the_alchemist83
the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did a quick search and I didn't see anything.  I did a high heat gasket replacement and while I was as careful as possible, I still managed to get some of the 77 adhesive on the inside edge of my dome & bottom part of my egg.  I went through with an acetone rag around the edge to remove it.  I ran my fingers around the spots & there was no stickiness.  Do I need to do a clean burn or am I okay?  I've only had my egg 3 weeks and I don't want to ruin it! Ahh (I know, over dramatic, just want to make sure I didn't mess it up).  Thanks for the help!

Comments

• No worries. Anything inside will burn off quickly. I over-sprayed some inside today as well. You can wire brush or sand of any large areas but I think a normal cook will take care of any normal over spray

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • No worries. Anything inside will burn off quickly. I over-sprayed some inside today as well. You can wire brush or sand of any large areas but I think a normal cook will take care of any normal over spray

Great to know!  I was pretty nervous there for a little bit.  Still working on getting my alignment & making sure all sides pass the dollar bill test.  Thanks again, much appreciated!
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited July 2012

I take it you didn't install a rutland?
  • nah. I

I take it you didn't install a rutland?

Nah, I had a nomex lying around that I got from MI Jason so I thought I would try it. This will be the last BGE gasket i try if it does not stand up
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it's latex rubber . no issues.  whatever is leftover will burn away quickly.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

• it's latex rubber . no issues.  whatever is leftover will burn away quickly.

Awesome!  I'm still having some issues with alignment on my dome.  It makes me wonder if the people who put it together ever did it correctly.  There is a small section on the left hand side of my egg where I get 0 drag on the dollar bill.  I'm too tired to mess with it tonight, so I'll try some more tomorrow to see if I can get it right.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I plan on installing my Rutland gasket tomorrow. I take it I shouldn't use the sealant that came with the kit? Is 3M 77 or Permatex better?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I plan on installing my Rutland gasket tomorrow. I take it I shouldn't use the sealant that came with the kit? Is 3M 77 or Permatex better?
    Here is the naked whiz section on the Rutland.  I don't think it says to "not use" the adhesive that comes with it.  I didn't read it that carefully though...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Permatex is better. The rutland adhesive is waterbased, and intended for use on steel, where it can cure properly before the water evaporates. On ceramic, i personally think the bond is compromised by the ceramic wicking water from the adhesive before it cures properly
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante