Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Burn - thermometer all the way around?

Options
Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
i'm doing a burn to clean my egg vent open no daisy wheel.  the thermometer has gone all the way around - will this break the thermometer?  will i need to re-calibrate?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    you shouldn't do a clean burn with the thermometer in it, just in case.

take it out if you can (unless of course if the clip prevents it).

you can test later on to make sure.  it should actually be fine.  it's elastic (not meaning rubber, but meaning it should return to its original state). they can be recalibrated unless they are sprung. the relationship (how much it twists) is linear unless it gets truly stretched and permanently deformed.  you'd have to really go around a few times for that not sure it's possible.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yeah...what he said. Should be OK but I do take mine out before blasting a clean burn. I just took the clip off mine so I can take it out easily any time I want.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would argue that you don't need to do a full open damper burn to clean out the egg.  700 F or so should be fine.  BGE recommends never cleaning the inside except the grate - it self-cleans when you grill hot.

That said, I've never done a clean-burn, probably never will, since I do pizzas fairly frequently.

Stike is right about the spring in the thermometer - it's a bi-metallic ribbon coil and you probably can't get the egg hot enough to break it, but you might damage the paint on the dial, so I'd take it out, or just don't go so hot.
    Options
    i'm doing a burn to clean my egg vent open no daisy wheel.  the thermometer has gone all the way around - will this break the thermometer?  will i need to re-calibrate?
    As above, won't break the thermo. Very likely it will need recalibration. I'd be more concerned about blowing out the gasket, it you have one. Also, as above, a cleansing burn does not need to be so hot. 30 min. at 600 will get dry most of the greasy build up.

I've done clean burns that left about an 1/8 inch shell of soot crust at the top of the dome. Scrape that off, because it will soon fall into the food cooking below.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Can you do a clean burn with the plate setter on? I would love to get rid of some of spillage that has blackened it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    You can certainly load up your BGE and clean burn any ceramics in there-just be ready to replace your gasket once finished.  Nature of the beast-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Plate setters are made for firing pottery, should be fine.  Just let it cool down in the egg to mitigate thermal shock.
    Can you do a clean burn with the plate setter on? I would love to get rid of some of spillage that has blackened it.

Options
    Thanks the burn is going now.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    take a pic when done, and let us know what temp, if you left the thermometer in...and if anything cracked in half because our advice...oops?
    Options
    The eggs are taken way over 1200 during testing. Then doused with water You can't think of something to do to a BGE that they haven't already tried
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They're probably fired past 2000 F when they're glazed.  I'll bet most of their QC is done at the bisque or glaze firing.
    Options
    Well i aint guessing. I'm just talking about performance testing of the internal components and the outer shell Picture a guy jamming a leaf blower in the lower vent and fueling the fire until stuff is glowing, then dumping water on it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It seems like that would crack them.  Are they made from borosilicate?  Where'd you find that out?
    Options
    Borosilicate is ceramic glass i believe. Older pyrex. Glass stove tops, etc.

The testing guys do some crazy stuff to these. We arent running very close to the limit of the BGE when we have a 'hot' fire going