Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Unconventional Frozen Tundra Butt Rub

Options
twlangan
twlangan Posts: 307
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Did my 2nd pork butt cook ever yesterday. The first cook, I used a traditional rub consisting of a heavy dose of paprika, some cayenne, black pepper, dry mustard, etc. While it was very good, the spices seemed to me to overpower the natural flavor of the meat (I'm a purist of sorts when it comes to beef and pork). I also used Hickory for smoke.

On yesterday's butts, I did an experiment. I used a rub that I threw together, consisting of Lowery's, garlic powder, onion powder, a little paprika, and some turbino sugar. Glued it all on with yellow mustard. I must say that it turned out absolutely fantastic - everyone loved it and commented on how much better it was than the first ones I did. I also used apple chips for smoke, which I also liked much better.

Now, I realize that my rub mix is probably heresy to many seasoned pork butt chefs out there, but it sure hit the spot with my audience. I think that different geographic regions prefer different tastes - must be something in the water.  :)

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    sounds good and its all a matter of taste you liked it and your guests so its a win/win for you 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.