Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your BGE lump look like this? pics...

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been thru 1 bag of Bge lump so far with my new egg. It was pretty good as far as burn. There tended to be more smaller pieces than I felt should he but I thought it was just that particular bag. I read reviews and saw pics on naked whiz's site. I know to expect a fair amount of wastes/small pieces. I'm on my second bag now and noticed that I'm seeing a lot of small pieces again. I sorted to what I consider usable and non usable. Meaning would the pieces fit into the air holes and clog them. I have 1/2 filled my egg so I only sorted what was left. I weighed the small pieces and had 7.4 lbs of waste from a 22lb bag minus approx 3 lbs. What do yall think? Is this what I should expect? I just bought some weekend warrior from ace hardware and will check it out like this too...
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2012
    I used to sort the lump, many brands,  I made a frame with 1/2 inch square mesh on a 2x4 frame, big enough to fit over my large trash bucket 18x30 inch apprx.  After doing this for a year or so I figured it was a waste of time, so now I just dump from the bag and eggcept near the end of bag , I get so it really does not matter unless I am doing a long burn and then I use bigger pieces which I keep separate as I go thru bags.   
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Royal Oak makes the BGE lump. I have used Royal Oak (USA) as my standard lump and always found that it has smaller pieces and lots of dust at the end.

I have switched to Humphrey lump which has larger pieces, is easy to light, and burns well.

I would suggest that you stop paying a premium for BGE lump and try Royal Oak instead which you can get at Wal-Mart (at least around here).  FOr a little extra money you could use Wicked ZGood or Humphrey.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Royal Oak is all I can get locally and the last two bags have been really bad.  Not 5 pieces bigger a fist and most of them the size of an egg.

Prior to these two bags I had been very pleased with RO.
  • krobertsmsn
    Where do you get Humphrey and wicked z good?
    Rome, GA
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Cowboy is the way to go! Last few bags had some major logs in there and it's much cheaper.
  • krobertsmsn
    Where go you buy it?
    Rome, GA
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Cowboy can be bought at Ace and Lowes. I tried a bag and loved the size of pieces and mild smoke. It did seem to produce a ton of ash, IMO.

You can get a 40lb. bag of Humphreys delivered for $38. Tough to beat for a great charcoal. 

Also, Wicked Good WW is about $19-$20 at Ace. Very dense pieces. Lasts a long time, even on re-lights. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    My first two bags of BGE were not very good at all & they were the larger 20 lb bags.  I just purchased to more (10 lb x 2) and the first bag has much larger more dense pieces.  I prefer the larger oblong shapes as I think you get more airflow by having more open spaces as opposed to just dumping in & using all the small pieces that fill in holes  & what not.

Edit:  I purchased more BGE because I had a gift card to a store that only sells BGE or Wicked Good.  I wanted to give the BGE another shot other than the first go around.  The lump that I had from this 3rd bag, definitely burned hotter & caught quicker than the previous lumps.
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    I just opened a bag of Wicked Good and it's WICKED BIG! The chucks were huge. One was almost 2 feet long. I had to check to make sure some of these weren't rocks or even bricks. They burn fantastic. My last bag of BGE lump was of reasonable size, nothing to write a about. I'm certainly going to get another back of WG weekend warrior blend when I'm done with this forest in a bag. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    It's all usable. Big chunks aren't necessarily great. If you had one 20 pound chunk it would make for poor fire

An even bed of medium/small is great for searing. Large chunks are decent as a base, for airflow, but they are no good at providing an even fire.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    stike said:

It's all usable. Big chunks aren't necessarily great. If you had one 20 pound chunk it would make for poor fire

An even bed of medium/small is great for searing. Large chunks are decent as a base, for airflow, but they are no good at providing an even fire.

This is my thought process too, big lumps whilst good for low and slow aren't great for an even fire, I prefer golf ball to tennis ball sized lumps, and, if there's some small stuff that's fine, the important factor for me is dense charcoal that burns hot and long, if it takes a while to get going then to me, it's not the end of the world, it almost makes sense, quick to get going, quick to burn away, IMO.

Here in the UK we don't have anywhere near the choice of you folks in the US, I can get BGE lump, expensive but not too bad, there are a few local producers near me but they use mainly ash which doesn't last very long. My current go to is Big K Graded Restaurant Lump, a 30lb bag costs less than a large BGE bag lasts twice as long and gives a consistent burn
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

The original equipment fire grates on the XL have 3/4 or 7/8 inch holes and you don't have to worry about airflow at all due to small pieces or dust.  However, one of my XL fire grates cracked and they replaced it with one that has 1/2 inch holes that is much easier to clog with small pieces.  My latest strategy is to dump the bag in the one with big holes and pull out the bigger chuncks and put in the one with smaller holes.  Haven't had an issue since.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Someone here on the forum (cortguitarman) has run a group purchase of Humphrey charcoal in the Harrisburg area of Pennsylvania.  The last purchase came out to $16 per 20 pound bag.  Very good stuff.  If I were to get Wicked Good, I'd order it from ACe hardware and have it delivered free to the store near me.  They have coupons from time to time if you sign up for their email list.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Wicked Good lump here - If you have an Ace hardware you can have free shipping to a store near you.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12791311
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    The small size will only be a issue for lump that produces a lot of ash which will clog (restrict airflow) you up sooner. Just be sure that your firebox and grate holes are clean. My guess is the only difference you will see is it will come up to temp a little bit slower.
     My favorite lump to use comes looking the same way as your pics show, a dozen fist size, mostly golf ball size and the rest chips. I was disappointed at first, but soon realized that because it produces very little ash, there wasn't a need to knock ash loose. Once I stopped knocking loose the ash (between fill ups) I stopped having air flow issues. I don't know if it would work for BGE lump, but it works for Natures Own.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I am still on my first bag of the two I got for my birthday with my BGE. The brand is B&B and it came from Academy Sports. I am fairly happy with the ratio of good sized lumps to smaller lumps to little pieces.

I made my first hot cook (steaks) yesterday, and wrapped the thermometer all the way around past zero. It was probably about 800-850 F.

Tim