Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with how dome opens?

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought my egg already put together by the dealer. While the dome didn't line up perfectly with the base, it closed fine and had a good seal so I was ok with it. It also seemed to open slightly crooked, but just barely. I'm usually over anal about stuff like that so thought it was just me. But now the dome doesn't open right, and I'm scared I might be causing damage to it. It doesn't seem to open exactly straight up, and after opening about an eight of the way there's a "hitch" or clicking feel (best I can describe it). When I look at the hinge and rings/bands when it opens, the bottom band by the hinge is moving just a little bit. There is no movement on the other side of the hinge. Could it be that the ring is too loose (and could this be the cause of the hang-up)? I did see on the video to tighten the nuts enough to where the metal bends slightly...it's not bent on mine. Anyone have an issue like this or know what might be going on? it's functional but I just want to make sure I'm not damaging the egg.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You might damage it if you don't do something to fix.  This is fairly common, the dealer probably had some pimply-faced, minimum wage earnin' kid assemble it.  Loose ring is very bad, shows they didn't know what they were doing.

Loosen the ring bolts and the hinge bolts.  Align the top.  Tighten them up, evenly.  You might need several tries.  When it all looks good, torque down on the strap/ring bolts until the right angle tabs start to bend. There's a torque specification somewhere out there.  You're not going to break the ceramic.  If you break the strap or the bolt, that's too tight.  Make sure the rings are even all the way around the lip.  If you tighten the top ring, then align the bottom, then tighten it, it'll torque and be crooked.  Do them evenly.

Oh, when aligning, if it doesn't pass the dollar bill test, loosen it up and try again until it does.  Search "dollar bill test" and you'll find some descriptions of that process.
  • nolaegghead
    Well, I meant search in the forum, but I just googled it, and, lo-and-behold, I see what ya mean.  Involves a dollar bill and yo' junk.
    Great info - thanks a ton. Will go look up dollar bill test now
  • I just rebuilt mine today and it is as good as the day I bought it for the first time in a few years. lemme know if you have trouble. I took the lid off, put a nomex gasket on and then tweaked all the screws till it was lined up and ready to roll.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Wow. Well you learn something new everyday. Now I have something to do tonight.....
    XL BGE
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    You mean the ceramic "shouldn't" break when tightening the bands Mine did. A very good reason to only buy from an authorized dealer. Make sure you get your warranty. I'm glad I did.
  • nolaegghead
    You mean the ceramic "shouldn't" break when tightening the bands Mine did. A very good reason to only buy from an authorized dealer. Make sure you get your warranty. I'm glad I did.
    It shouldn't break if the strap is on evenly.  Same philosophy used with diving bells, compressed air tanks, etc.  That is, unless the ceramic had a fracture or occlusion.