Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Father's Day Gift: What should I begin with?

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my bge for father's day and don't know what to cook first> Any suggestions? Do you have to use a drip pan when cooking? I could use some beginners advice!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tom,
    Tim M's and Gfw's websites are very helpful and informative. With pictures, and even a newbie section. I don't have the links handy, but I believe they are in the links section. Maybe one of them will chime in.[p]Pork tenderloins seem to be a popular first cook...and always turn out great. Cook direct over the coals, at 350 or so, flipping every 15 minutes or so. A meat thermometer helps greatly! Pull it off at 145-155 internal temp, and let rest 10 or 15 minutes. Fork tender and delicious.[p]Have fun! and don't hesitate to pop back if you have any more questions.
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Tom, welcome to the BGE forum. [p]The best advice will be given here on the forum - recipes are available in the recipe section. Tim M (http://www.tm52.com/bge/) has a 'New BGE Users Picture Section' which you may find very useful. Please also feel free to browse my site by clicking on the link.[p]No you don't always have to use a drip pan, but for some low/slow cooks it really helps. For a 1st cook, how about a few cheeseburgers and sausages - great way to break in the BGE. Of course, you could also find a few 1.5 inch steaks. [p]What size BGE? Let us all know how it goes!
    [p] [p] [p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    PorkT_06_13_0017_49_04_small.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy, Absolutely great idea! Don't know why I didn't think of the PT - just had one the other night - always turn out about perfect.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Tom, welcome aboard..great present!
    C~W[p]