Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Tonight

tactical_66
tactical_66 Posts: 207
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I went to Tasty Licks BBQ today and picked up a few things. Dizzy Dust, Plowboys Rub, 00 Pizza Flower and a few more misc items. On my way home we stopped at a local butcher and picked up a 9 lb bone in pork shoulder. I plan on putting on my LBGE tonight about 2200. Shoulder still had skin on and a few piggy hairs Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Skin off Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Dizzy Dust for the first time Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice...2200 degrees is a little high, I'd try a 250 F dome temp.
    10:00 pm. I always use 24 hr clock time
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I figured, I'm just couldn't resist
    :))
    I've been liking shoulder a lot lately.  Part of that might have to do with the fact I can usually get it a good bit cheaper than the butt, but I also think it's got more of that "close to the bone" meat that tastes so good.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks good good luck 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tactical_66
    Thanks all. As soon as this thunderstorm passes I will be getting the fire started.
  • I've been liking shoulder a lot lately.  Part of that might have to do with the fact I can usually get it a good bit cheaper than the butt, but I also think it's got more of that "close to the bone" meat that tastes so good.
    well- the shoulder is actually the but. The cut above is part of the shoulder as well but is refereed to as the picnic. 

The pork shoulder is 2 parts. they are from the front leg section of the pig.  The butt is the back shoulder (think shoulder blade) and the picnic is the front shoulder and upper leg portion (you can see the leg bone in his pics above). The "butt" they refer to is actually the butt joint in the shoulder that separates the front and back shoulder (butt and picnic)

Hope that makes sense. I'll dig up a drawing if needed.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tactical_66
    10:00 am this morning and the temp never faltered. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Here is the pork after 13 hrs and an internal temp of 200 degrees Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • tactical_66
    Fred's is great. I go there when I need something. The guys in the store are very nice and on Saturdays they have food to sample. If you are in driving distance it is definitely worth going to check out. Pork was Eggcellerator for lunch. I used Bone Sucking Sauce and it was very good as well