Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DDay6642 Test-This is a test- disregard unless you are Dday6642

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Helping an new member try to post- disregard this thread unless you see something that may help
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    don't tell me what to do pal.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this one is weird- he can log in and send PM's but he cannot post or reply. Any ideas?

• stike
    Options
    i believe there is STILL the odd bug that a person can start a new post, but not reply.  i really thought it had been fixed.  have him try STARTING a post.
    see if he can do that.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    He can't. He can only see a button that says "recent discussions" but does not see the "new discussion" button and cannot reply to posts either. I had him sign out and sign back in and it still did not work

• stike
    Options
    hmmm.
    haven't heard that before.  i know for some (all?) there had been a limbo period where they couldn't post. but i haven't heard the complaint in a while

hopefully someone will chime in with a more recent experience.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    hmmm.
    haven't heard that before.  i know for some (all?) there had been a limbo period where they couldn't post. but i haven't heard the complaint in a while

hopefully someone will chime in with a more recent experience.
    Ah, I bet this is it. I bet he's confused his activation email with his account approval email.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Did he follow the email confirmation link?  After I confirmed my account, I had the same problem.  Flush your browser cache and login fresh.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    None of the above-he's working through Cen-Tex...BGE universe is on to him :)  Probably of no help but it's Saturday!!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That sounds about right. I PM'd him and told him to follow your instructions
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    If he hasnt been approved yet he can log in, but not post yet. Took me about 3 weeks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If he hasnt been approved yet he can log in, but not post yet. Took me about 3 weeks.
    That's what I thought too but he can send PM's to people. I dunno, seems weird to be able to log in and send PM's but not post or reply. Stranger things have happened on here though
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Weird. What's to approve?  You give your email, username, pw and reason to join. 
    Weird. What's to approve?  You give your email, username, pw and reason to join. 
    I know but it takes forever. I got sick of it and didn't come back for months. Seems like 3-4 weeks is a bit long to get people up and running
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Mine was a little under a week for approval. I could log in, but obviously not post. I have no idea if I could send PMs though since I didn't try. Should be easy enough to suss out, though. They send you an email to tell you you've been approved. If he hasn't gotten anything but the activation email then that's your answer.
    XL BGE
  • wkenta86
    wkenta86 Posts: 17
    Options
    Ditto to chuff's post...
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Just looked at those old emails....took 6 days for approval for me.  That's just plain unacceptable for a forum!  I coded the registration system for our company's web portal and it's completely automated and unattended.  Of course you have to be a customer first, but then the process is automatic.
    edited July 2012
    Options
    What's great is how it's so much easier to sign up here than the old place (sarcasm). And how they have a representative who actively follows and moderates the forum in order to resolve stuff like this in a timely fashion (sarcasm also).
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    I got approved right away, maybe a day or 2!  I will just call myself lucky, or you all that is!!  (sarcasm inserted here)   :D
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Sounds a lot like they have a queue of new users waiting for approval.  Once a week or so, a guy who works in a dusty mailroom at the BGE HQ brushes away the cobwebs on a CRT terminal.  He logs in, adjusting his reading glasses further down his nose.  Frowning, he logs into the the unix server via putty.  Runs sqlplus and types update bge_users set approved = 1 where nvl(approved,0) = 0;  commit;  Logs out, resumes filing the mail into little cubby holes.