Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp question

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Should I be taking the temp of the brisket from the point or from the thickest part of the flat?

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I think most people say to use the flat since the point has a lot of fat and that will read higher.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    +1 with Shiff in the thickest part of the flat.  The hunk is finished when you can probe the flat with no resistance, in and out.  This can occur anywhere from 180*F onward but generally in the mid 190's or a bit higher.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks guys.  It's at 145 right now after about 8 hours.  I'm going to cut the point off to make burnt ends.  When I throw the point back on the egg, should meat temp even be a concern at all, or should I just go 3-4 hours and call it good?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @ alynd-there are two choices with burnt ends-cube, foil and back on the BGE for 2-3 hrs, saucing at the end or cook the separated point as you describe and then chop and sauce and serve. I would go with the cubed method.  But I'm not a packer expert-I wrestle with flats and my home-run percentage has significant room for improvement:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nailed it Shiff. Good work. the point will be ready many hours before the flat because of the higher fat content in the point.

Alyn- you should wait until the whole thing is done and then cube up the point and throw it back on while the point holds in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Nailed it Shiff. Good work. the point will be ready many hours before the flat because of the higher fat content in the point.

Alyn- you should wait until the whole thing is done and then cube up the point and throw it back on while the point holds in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels
    My boy Cen Tex is already in the sauce.  He means while the "flat" holds in a cooler.  Be patient with him, after all it is Saturday.  B-)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ahhhh! you got it Dugan. Not in the sauce yet but probably should be after that post. obviously put the FLAT in the cooler while you cube up the POINT for burnt ends.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX