Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moving with the Egg

Hairless_Hand
Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am moving soon from Florida to Tennessee.  What is the best way to transport my egg?  It is currently in a nest.  Should I take it out?  This move will probably involve professional movers.  I don't really trust anyone to transport my source of delicious food.  I am open to any tips and advice.  Thanks.

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I've moved mine in the back of my pickup truck without incident.  Take all the guts out and store separately.  I strapped mine in the corner tightly and strapped the lid down so it doesn't bounce.  No problems.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Congrats on your move back to God's country (Tennessee)  from Heaven's waiting room (Florida). 

Where in TN are you moving? I grew up in East TN right outside of Knoxville. 

Regarding the Egg. I brought mine from TN to FL in the back of our Tahoe. If you have an SUV that may be an option. If not, take it out of the nest, secure in moving truck, and cover with blanket so nothing will rub up against it.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Moving to Middle TN.  
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Welcome to middle tennessee!!!  I agree with choke on smoke - take the guts out and wrap them really well in blankets or towels.  You may want to do a clean burn so you don't get a whole lot of black soot on your wrapping blankets.  Or you could use bubble wrap too.  If you are close to Nashville, you can get RO at the Walmarts, Wicked Good at Embers in Cool Springs, or BGE lump at any BGE dealer and their are tons of them here.  When you get around to buying your next egg, shop around for price and service.  My dealer, Harpeth True Value in Franklin, TN, has treated me very well and my warranty experience with them was awesome.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Hairless, we just moved from E. TN to the midwest, about a 450 trip. I left my egg in the table and put a ratchet strap around the entire thing and strapped the table to the side of the moving truck and i didnt have any problems. Do what your comfortable with. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i'd suggest taking the guts out, wrapping in some newspaper and putting them back in the egg. Leave it in the nest for the obvious advantage of being able to move it, but make sure they (or you) are careful when moving (pull, don't push), and take care not to catch the wheels and allow it to tip over.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Just take the guts out and tighten your nuts.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I say hire Nurse to move your egg, he has it down pat.
  • Daveh1976
    Daveh1976 Posts: 62
    Let the Pros move it.  Those guys wrap the hell out of everything.  Make sure the move is insured as well and check the egg when they unload it.

If you are getting moved by work, they usually will bring out a second crew to disassemble it and re-assemble it as well.