Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket temp question

alyndalynd Posts: 97
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Should I be taking the temp of the brisket from the point or from the thickest part of the flat?

Comments

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,351
    I think most people say to use the flat since the point has a lot of fat and that will read higher.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,902
    +1 with Shiff in the thickest part of the flat.  The hunk is finished when you can probe the flat with no resistance, in and out.  This can occur anywhere from 180*F onward but generally in the mid 190's or a bit higher.  Enjoy!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • alyndalynd Posts: 97
    Thanks guys.  It's at 145 right now after about 8 hours.  I'm going to cut the point off to make burnt ends.  When I throw the point back on the egg, should meat temp even be a concern at all, or should I just go 3-4 hours and call it good?
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,902
    @ alynd-there are two choices with burnt ends-cube, foil and back on the BGE for 2-3 hrs, saucing at the end or cook the separated point as you describe and then chop and sauce and serve. I would go with the cubed method.  But I'm not a packer expert-I wrestle with flats and my home-run percentage has significant room for improvement:)
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Nailed it Shiff. Good work. the point will be ready many hours before the flat because of the higher fat content in the point.

Alyn- you should wait until the whole thing is done and then cube up the point and throw it back on while the point holds in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Nailed it Shiff. Good work. the point will be ready many hours before the flat because of the higher fat content in the point.

Alyn- you should wait until the whole thing is done and then cube up the point and throw it back on while the point holds in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels
    My boy Cen Tex is already in the sauce.  He means while the "flat" holds in a cooler.  Be patient with him, after all it is Saturday.  B-)
  • ahhhh! you got it Dugan. Not in the sauce yet but probably should be after that post. obviously put the FLAT in the cooler while you cube up the POINT for burnt ends.