Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ever rib cook starting now.

dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have NEVER cooked ribs on the Egg or otherwise.  I found myself off of work today so I thought I would give it a shot.

Egg heating up now.  I have a nice set of baby back ribs in the frig.  I removed all of the membrane as far as I know.  It just pulled off like a piece of rubber but there seems to be a fatty layer underneath.  Liberally applied rub to both sides.

Anyone have any suggestions for the novice?  I have been googling different methods the last 30 minutes or so.

Current plan is indirect heat at around 300 for approx 4 hours or so.  Pie pan with juice underneath.
   -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Sounds good to me. Let us know, with pics, how they turn out. Many, many ways to do ribs and most are good.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

Watch the ribs to see when the meat pulls back from the end of the bone 1/2" or more.  Some here use the bend test (pick up the rack with tongs) others use a toothpick to check for tender.

As you do more you will visually see when they are done.

300 is a little warm for the way I do them, but it will work. Search CarWash Mike ribs, seems to be a poplar method.

Good luck and enjoy.  

• dweebs0r
    I was just reading the "Car Wash Mike" page here:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

I think I will drop the temp back to 250-275.

Thanks.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    When you check for doneness just give em the bend test.  Pick em up at one end with tongs and they will bend right in half with very little resistance.
  • dweebs0r
    Ribs are on as we speak.  Indirect heat at around 250-260.  Pie pan with mix of apple juice and water directly under the ribs.  A chunk of hickory thrown in (only wood chunks I have at the moment) for smoke.  I am going to try to leave it alone for the next 2-3 hours.

Not sure what I am doing here because like I said I havent ever cooked ribs before.  I live just outside of Memphis.  Good ribs are available many places here.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Your original plan of 300° dome temp is just fine for baby backs. I routinely cook BB's with a 325-350° dome temp, and they come out great. 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "Good ribs are available many places here"

better ribs are available in your back yard
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dweebs0r
    @stike I am hoping to be able to make good that statement
  • dweebs0r
    Progress pic after one hour in.  Added more juice so it wont burn.  About to leave and go run some errands.  Temp holding steady at 250.
  • dweebs0r
    Ok, I broke the rule of the forum and didnt grab pics of the final product.  Now they are nothing but a pile of bones.  Best lunch ever.

I tried to do the "bend test" but they didnt pass.  Is it because the slab was cut in half?

I pulled them off when the thermopen said 195 degrees.  The meat was tender enough that the tongs cut into the meat when I picked up the slabs.

Anyone have any suggestions for next time?  They had an excellent taste.  My wife who swore she didnt like ribs even liked them and suggested I make these again.

• MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    Awesome! I do not have any suggestions, but I do have a couple of comments.

1) Shame on you for not bringing me one to try! No fair being here at work while you are Egging it up.
    2) Refer to #1

Maybe you can be the "rib guy" at work!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited July 2012
    I tried to do the "bend test" but they didnt pass.  Is it because the slab was cut in half?
    Bend test is designed for a whole slab of ribs-thus the toothpick test for other than the full slab.  Insert a toothpick into the meaty parts of the ribs-no resistance in-and-out, ready to consume.  Due to the high bone-to-meat ratio getting a good thermo reading can be a bit of a challenge.  Sounds like it all worked out great for you though-any time you can SWMBO on your side is a winner
    :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MDHog
    MDHog Posts: 43

In my experience the bend test doesn't work if they have been cut if half. How much they are pulled back from the bone is key. Also the cook can just cut off the end rib and eat it!

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Congrats on a successful first rib cook.  You are now hooked!! You will find out that the juice/water pan is not needed in the BGE.  Doesn't hurt anything, but it really isn't necessary like it may be in other smokers.
  • Congrats on a successful first rib cook.  You are now hooked!! You will find out that the juice/water pan is not needed in the BGE.  Doesn't hurt anything, but it really isn't necessary like it may be in other smokers.
    correct. Just something to keep you busy if you are in to that kind thing. Not for me but it won't hurt anything.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Congrats I want to try ribs real soon maybe even this weekend.
  • dweebs0r
    MemphisBBQ If you are at work on Monday, I may bring in a couple of slabs for lunch.

Thanks for the comments guys.  To test the temp I stuck the thermopen down in the middle of a really meaty section but I can see that it would probably be inaccurate.  It was more for my piece of mind.  When I tried to pick it up with tongs and the tongs cut into the meat, I figured they were done enough.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Progress pic after one hour in.  Added more juice so it wont burn.  About to leave and go run some errands.  Temp holding steady at 250.
    If you raise up the drip pan using the 3little feet that came with the Egg or other method the drippings and apple juice will not burn like it does if directly on the place setter.
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Way to go! My first attempt at ribs wasn't the best. I am getting better at it, thanks to help from the guru's out there. Enjoy your Egg. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Progress pic after one hour in.  Added more juice so it wont burn.  About to leave and go run some errands.  Temp holding steady at 250.
    If you raise up the drip pan using the 3little feet that came with the Egg or other method the drippings and apple juice will not burn like it does if directly on the place setter.

or dont use a drip pan or juice at all..... ;)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah.  the liquid in a pan may help keep temps stable, and lower, but flavors won't really make it on to the meat, and it won't keep the meat any more moist.

liquid is good as a heat sink, but beyond that, not really any benefit.  i use a couple sheets of foil crimped into a foil pan with crimped rim.  the next day, after it's cooled and congealed, i toss it in the trash. no liquid
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great first cook, they look good, although it is hard for ribs to look bad....
    Some times a drip pan with liquid seems to be a good idea, some times not. I use one just to catch the drips, I know they will burn off but cleanup is just easier. 
    Tried some single cut Asian style ribs, marinated for about two hours and then brushed with soy and honey during the cook. About two hours at 275F turn and brush every half hour
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!