Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get my egg Hot Hot HOT!!!!

Options
Steve
Steve Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not having much luck. I want to get my egg up to around 800 to 850 degrees. Today I put quite a bit of charcoal in my medium egg and never got above 600 (if that)
And after I put my medium sized stone on the gril, the temp went down fast.
What's the solution? Less charcoal so I get more airflow? A fan blowing under the firebox? A smaller stone to allow more air flow?
Thanks,
Steve in Walla Walla

Comments

• wingfoot
    wingfoot Posts: 95
    Options
    Steve,[p]Lots of info on temp control on The Naked Whiz site. Not sure if your egg is new or old, but if you're having trouble, I'd start by pulling out the fire ring and the fire box and cleaning everything out. Make sure the opening in the firebox is aligned with the bottom damper when you reassemble everything. Then start with some large pieces of new lump at the bottom and gradually go a little smaller as you fill the box to the top, careful to not plug the air holes. I'm assuming you're referring to a pizza stone. I sure wouldn't wait until the temp reaches 600 before putting the stone on. It could be that you're still burning off VOCs when you put on the stone. What you should see with new lump is fairly high temps early and then a drop in the temp, followed by a steady rise as the fire spreads. I've never had any trouble reaching high temperatures with my egg as long as I have enough lump to start with, especially if it is new lump.[p]Regards,[p]Mike
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Steve,
    Make sure that you stir up the lump good and reach in between the firebox and the outer shell to clean out any piled up ash that may be blocking your airflow. [p]When using a pizza stone, raise the stone up to the level of the rim of the Egg either with firebricks or a plate setter. It really chokes out the fire when the stone is right on top of the fire ring. Are you trying to cook at 850 with a stone? 500 is the perfect temp for pizza and stone baking.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Steve
    Steve Posts: 94
    Options
    I'll try stirring up the coals next time..maybe the holes were blocked..and I'll try some firebricks[p]"Are you trying to cook at 850 with a stone? 500 is the perfect temp for pizza and stone baking."[p]Not for a real pizza! Sorry, just kidding. For a Neapolitan pizza, just 2 or 2.5 minutes at high temp is what you want.
    Thanks for your help.
    Steve

• Unknown
    Options
    Steve,
    Ahhhh, extra thin crust, or cheese and crackers as we call it in Boston. 850 might be tough to reach with a stone even under the best circumstances, but keep at it, you should be able to get it hot enough.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• Unknown
    Options
    C~Q,
    Just dont put a brisket in at that temp...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Steve,
    in addition to the comments below, make sure you take off the daisy wheel completely

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Steve,
    What lump are you using? I have had temp problems with some BGE that I have bought lately. Also putting any ceramic in the Egg after your getting high temps, it will drop your temps for a while as the cold material absorbs the heat. I light my Egg then put in what I'll need for cooking and let it all come to temp together.