Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Charcoal Grate for XL

jostheim
jostheim Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
Was in home depot today picking up some mulch and wandered by the grill section (as I always do).  I noticed a weber replacement charcoal grate that looked like it might fit my XL, so I took a chance and picked it up (home depot takes ANYTHING back anyway).   Well, I got it home, pulled out my current stock fire grate and low and behold the two are the exact same size!  

So for those of you lamenting the fact that HighQue doesn't have a replacement charcoal grate for the XL, lament no more, this Weber replacement grate seems to be a perfect fit.  Also, it was ~$12. 

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Interesting idea.  You're going to get a great deal more airflow across the lump with that.  Could be a good thing for faster start ups. Wonder if too many small pieces of lump will fall through, hard to tell??
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• jostheim
    Interesting idea.  You're going to get a great deal more airflow across the lump with that.  Could be a good thing for faster start ups. Wonder if too many small pieces of lump will fall through, hard to tell??
    Definitely will get small pieces falling through, but worth it for the better airflow.  My guess is the small pieces will still burn down there in the ash area.  I had another idea, which was to buy two of these and cross-hatch them securing with stainless steel screws and washers, thereby keeping the high airflow but also keeping all but the smallest pieces from falling through.  For around $12 each, 2 is doable.
  • I'm not thinking the stock fire grate on the XL needs that much help, especially the newer models with the wider holes.  Let us know how you feel it improves the cooker, keep that spark arrester shut just in case you hace lots of lit lump in the bottom.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jostheim

I'm not thinking the stock fire grate on the XL needs that much help, especially the newer models with the wider holes.  Let us know how you feel it improves the cooker, keep that spark arrester shut just in case you hace lots of lit lump in the bottom.

Maybe the stock grate doesn't need much help, but I am always for a faster startup on the weeknights when I am just grilling a few things.  Folks have been raving about the highque product on the large eggs...

Found a link to the actual Weber part I bought (I think):

I think I will buy another and cross-hatch to reduce fall through of smaller pieces, I'll post some picks once I do that...
  • I think that it's a lot easier to get ash to fall down below before you start a new fire with these grates.  I've had the high-que grate in my large for a few months and I've been very happy with it.

It will be interesting to see how the weber grate holds up to the higher heat of the Egg during something like a steak cook.  Be sure to update us....
    The Naked Whiz
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I built a lump bucket for my xl using the weber charcoal grate.  needless to say it did not last long.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Thanks for sharing. I am also wondering if it will last with high heat cooks. If yes, I would certainly purchase for my XL. Does anyone know if highque is thinking of making one for the XL?
  • I heard they were interested in hearing from folks about wanting other sizes.  Give them a shout, it can't hurt.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jostheim
    I built a lump bucket for my xl using the weber charcoal grate.  needless to say it did not last long.
    What happened, did the welds fall apart?  I haven't started going up to super-high temps yet, so indeed it may not hold up, only being $12 I won't be too upset.  I will report back.
  • I use one of the 18" weber charcoal grate  and a few carriage bolts for my raised grill in my Large BGE.  Works very well and a less expensive solution to other raised grates.  I've read where rust may be an issue,  but after a few uses,  it has a nice covering on it.  Only been a couple months so we'll see as to the longevity.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    it rusted out and sagged some from the high heat.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jostheim
    Thanks for the info, I'll watch it.  My egg is covered so if it rusts that will be from ambient moisture, sagging of course is a different story.
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    I think these things will all sag. That's the whole point of the cast iron grates.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2011
    I'm confident you won't have any problems with the charcoal grate itself.  I used one as a charcoal grate in my "Weber Smoky Mountain" for 8 years and now another 1/2 year in my EGG, and other than being dirty, it's as good as new!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• jostheim
    Ran it low and slow for ribs over the weekend, worked fine, but that was low and slow.  I did buy a second fire grate and set it up cross hatch which kept in the small pieces quite well.

Now I had a lot of trouble controlling the heat with my automatic temperature controller this time, and I am wondering if the grates didn't have something to do with it (I had large overshoots in temperature).  Next time I'll go back to the cast iron grate and see how it works.

BTW as I understand it current eggs are shipping with stell grates now, right?
  • Stainless Steel Cooking Grids, still Cast Iron Charcoal Grates.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I guess if it is resting on the BGE CI grate it won't sag too much.  However if the point is to remove the CI grate...
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    I am curious why not just drill out some addition holes in the original grate?