Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey you. Yes, you lurkers who are not posting.

123457»

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Shooting with your camera or in the ballistic sense?

Both. I get paid to shoot guns at stuff and the photo shooting is for fun.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Shooting with your camera or in the ballistic sense?

How do you pull that off? Getting paid to shoot, I mean.
    XL BGE
  • Shooting with your camera or in the ballistic sense?

How do you pull that off? Getting paid to shoot, I mean.

You are free to do it too! (US Army)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    Raise your right hand and repeat after me: I (state your name) swear to uphold and defend the constitution of the united states..... Ect. Aka, join the us army infantry.
  • chuff
    Ah. No military for me. I was NPQ'd in my youth.
    XL BGE
  • travisstrick
    Your youth must have been a long time ago. I don't know what NPQ is.

Hey cen tex. I heard a review of mizu today on the Todd and don show (590 klbj AM). They spoke very highly of it.
  • chuff
    Not Physically Qualified
    XL BGE
  • travisstrick
    After 9 years, I'm NPQ too.
  • Your youth must have been a long time ago. I don't know what NPQ is. Hey cen tex. I heard a review of mizu today on the Todd and don show (590 klbj AM). They spoke very highly of it.

It's money. Just had a bad night. I ate at marimoto's (Iron Chef) in Napa CA last summer and Mizu blew it away. it's one of my faves anywhere in the US
  • smg8562
    smg8562 Posts: 6
    In the spirit of leaving "lurking land" I've decided to share photos of some of my experiments since firing up the egg. I'm trying to learn my egg's personality and characteristics. First, is my table - built with scrap lumber and tiles. Then,there's the butt/brisket tip, pizza, and beef ribs, etc. -  all to varying degrees of success. Although not perfect product, everything has tasted quite good and keeps me rolling! Thanks to all the participants on the Forum for all the tips, recommendations, and ideas that everyone has posted!
  • In the spirit of leaving "lurking land" I've decided to share photos of some of my experiments since firing up the egg. I'm trying to learn my egg's personality and characteristics. First, is my table - built with scrap lumber and tiles. Then,there's the butt/brisket tip, pizza, and beef ribs, etc. -  all to varying degrees of success. Although not perfect product, everything has tasted quite good and keeps me rolling! Thanks to all the participants on the Forum for all the tips, recommendations, and ideas that everyone has posted!
    atta boy- keep it up, you are on the right track. Good pics

• jedawa
    jedawa Posts: 24
    edited August 2012
    Wow, I never imagined a bbq forum could get so tense.  I mean the gun forums sure, but bbq??  I'm a new, greener than green rookie.  Just went off the deep end and got an XL.  I wanted to do slow and lows so I soon realized I wanted a CyberQ.  Now we'll see if I can get some skills.  I tend to lurk unless I think I can contribute.  I can blather ignorant bs if preferred, but figured I'd try to learn first? 
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ jedawa-Welcome to the cult, you are beyond club stage.  Be mindful of the Kool-Aid.  Nothing wrong with your approach-we all learn from the good and the not-so-good cooks here.  Plenty of people willing to help with any issue. Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Isn't the plural of fish fishes?  Lolcat speak doesn't follow normal literary rules....

I like fishes, they taste delishes!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• jedawa
    Thanks for the welcome lousubcap.  I actually got it in late May, did a couple pork butts, then had to shut it down for a burn ban, argh!  Ban was lifted this morning and I'm back at it.  Gonna try to sear and dwell some thinner pork loin chops tonight.  Thinking 3 min a side then flip the rig and dwell til 150ish?  I have no idea on dwell time, we'll see.  But even with my zero skills and experience those pork butts were amazing, so I'm excited...  (of course I got the adjustable rig combo too)
    XL Big Green Egg, adjustable rig combo, Woo2, CyberQ, plate setter, Weber Genesis
  • lousubcap

@jedawa-Glad you are clear of the ban-don't know your location but hopefully the worst you had was the ban and nothing much more serious.  You mention dwell-whatever you do to get to the dwell temperature-please do not shut the vents on the BGE and let it come down in temp and dwell with the vents shut.  This causes the sooty taste that really puts people off (and rightfully so) of sear and finish cooks.  I sear with the dome open (a good bed of hot lump coals),  then set the lower vent and DFMT to around the 400*F setting and wait til the dome thermo gets about there and finish.  Much better taste-why do I know -I did the dwell with closing the vents one time only-never again. 

BTW-here's are great ceramic grill reference-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jedawa
    @lousubcap- Thanks again, that vent advice was literally in the nick of time.  I would have sooty chops right now otherwise.  At 3 min per side I only dwelled for another two or so minutes.  Pulled at a high 170 but they're still delicious.  Was out of apple chips but the hickory tastes great.  Even my screw-ups are delicious!
  • lousubcap
    BGE makes us all look good-
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    longtime lurker, just started posted today (thanks to the help with my pork butt, which is at 182 degrees and climbing right now). this site has already made me look good in front of friends and my wife. thanks for that.

So now i'm addicted to a golf website and a green egg website. love it.