Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A different take on pizza crust..

Options
Skiddymarker
Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
edited July 2012 in Baking
Making "pan style" pizza crust is often similar to those you can buy, well at least in my experience it is. Almost all have 1 or 2 teaspoons of yeast, making a bread style dough. 
Recently I saw an episode of America's test kitchen where they made a thin crust pizza using only 1/2 teaspoon of yeast in a cold dough then cooked in an oven on a stone at 500F. Sounds like what I do in my medium egg. I use the platesetter legs down with a 13" stone I picked up at Kitchen Collections for $10, sitting directly on the plate setter. I take the whole setup up to a stabilized 500F for about 15 minutes before I put on a pie. We use parchment paper and those cookie sheets where one side has no lip as a peel, very easy. We then cook three or four in a row. 
This dough recipe uses a food processor and very little yeast, the crust comes out chewy and crisp, (having never been to New York, I'm not sure if it is in fact New York style thin crust pizza. All I know is that it is the easiest dough to work with I have ever seen. Came out very good. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments