Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New diet

eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just thought I'd share.  I started a "flour free diet" recently.  I substituted every bread, cereal, tortilla, etc. with sprouted grain, spelt or other non enriched flour/wheat product I can find (readily available at natural food stores).  I eat out a lot for work and have brought tortilla shells to Taco Johns, Hamburger buns to burger joints, etc.  The idea is that our bodies aren't meant to process enriched or "fake" flour.  Our livers get bogged down with that crap and can't process the other stuff.  The beauty is that on this diet you can eat as much as you want of the "foods our bodies are meant to process".  meat, eggs, real butter, etc.  It's been two weeks, and i've lost 8 lbs. by doing nothing else.  Still drinking beer, still not working out a lot.  I do have a normally low sugar diet, which I think helps, but I am still impressed with this diet.  Just thought I's pass it along.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    My kids call sprouted bread "hippy bread".  It does take some getting used to.  If you eliminate gluten, and stick to modest lean meat with a lot of veggies you will get amazing results.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• eggteeth
    It is a bit different, but I have become quite accustomed to it.  Especially Ezekial bread and Rudi's whole spelt tortillas.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Ezekial bread is what we use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I just stopped eating bread altogether. I have lost 20 pounds since Easter. I also gave up sugar.

Tim
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I was a real fatty...weighing in at a lean and mean 330. It's been a pretty good journey and have been around 270ish for sometime now.

I finally went to see a athletic focused nutritionist and have lost about 35 pounds of fat and gained 10 pounds of muscle since seeing him. Went from 25% > 15% in 45 days.

I eat a ton throughout the day and the only bread in my meal plan is one 100% whole wheat bagel. Mainly consists of complex carbs, lean protein and fruit/dairy are the only simple carbs in my diet. It's been a wonderful life changing experience.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Cazzy, that's great!

Do you drink alcohol at all or did you cut that out as well? Just curious as some on here have had good results while still having a drink or 2.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • cazzy
    I drink alcohol about 1 day a year...kinda hard to get into it growing up w/ a alcoholic.

I usually stay away from anything outside of water. 15 minutes to burn the simple carbs before they're stored as fat make it easy for me to shy away.
  • JEC23
    JEC23 Posts: 131
    cazzy said:

I was a real fatty...weighing in at a lean and mean 330. It's been a pretty good journey and have been around 270ish for sometime now.

I finally went to see a athletic focused nutritionist and have lost about 35 pounds of fat and gained 10 pounds of muscle since seeing him. Went from 25% > 15% in 45 days.

I eat a ton throughout the day and the only bread in my meal plan is one 100% whole wheat bagel. Mainly consists of complex carbs, lean protein and fruit/dairy are the only simple carbs in my diet. It's been a wonderful life changing experience.

That's impressive, trying to drop from 21 to 15 and it's been 6 weeks so far with less than 1% change. Loads of protein, low fat and minimal carbs mixed with exercise. It's dull and I wish I could find the best balance of eat what I want and be toned, oh to be in my early 20's again lol
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Thanks! I'm 33, so I'm not a young buck...in fact my 25 year old gym partners crack jokes all the time. "Old man muscle" is a popular one. LOL

Do you mind describing what a day of eating looks like in your world? When are you doing cardio and what are you doing for cardio?
  • cazzy
    Oh, and feel free to PM me so I avoid high jacking the OPs thread anymore than I've already done. Lol

The OPs take on bread is what got me going as I do agree with cutting out all the enriched product. Obesity is a new phenomenon and folks ate what we now consider bad food all the time (bacon, butter, steak etc). Fatties like past self were the minority and not the norm back in the day. I guess we can thank video games as one of the problems too.
  • Eggbertsdad
    So all you guys have really done is cut out the bad carbs...bread, bagels, biscuits, etc.?

What about potatoes or rice?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • cazzy
    Potatoes are good...minus the gob of butter, cheese and sour cream. I'm a Huge fan of sweet potatoes. I eat em w/ a lil cinnamon and I enjoy them quite well.

Rice is good, but enriched rice is just as common as your everyday bread. Brown rice is what I eat on a daily basis as its a complex carbs and allows your body 3 hours to burn it off before its stored as fat. When I'm not concerned, I eat jasmine rice.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Thanks cazzy!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've got the magic bullet for all of us. It's a quote from one of my fav movies. Are you ready?

"I'll P.T. you all until you FU@#%$# DIE" It works every time. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    Great freaking movie!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited July 2012
    Except for a moral slide this month - What is your Major Malfunction! - (due to travel and family events) we have cut pretty much all bread, white rice, pasta, cereals, and so on.  Small portions of brown rice occasionally and one slice of sprouted bread with breakfast a couple of times a week.  It was surprisingly easy to get used to.

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited July 2012
    So all you guys have really done is cut out the bad carbs...bread, bagels, biscuits, etc.?

What about potatoes or rice?
    Yes, I have cut those out, too. I have them occasionally, but probably eat about 5% as much of them as I used too (overall, not per serving).

My diet is pretty easy to sum up: meats, fish, eggs, cheese and other soured milk products, salad vegetables, nuts, peanuts, oils, and a small amount of fruit. It is basically a relaxed version of the Atkins Diet. Because I have relaxed the diet, I am not losing a ton of weight quickly, but I am happy with the way it is going.

Tim
  • eggteeth
    The only change I have made is the bread.  I went to the natural foods store and loaded up on bread, hamburger buns, tortilla shells, etc.  Everywhere I go to eat I just bring my own bun, shell, etc. and just put the food in there.  Also got some organic corn chips that I smuggle into Chipotle.  It's hard, but its getting easier.  I have switched back to real butter as I've learned that "I can't believe it's butter" is horrible for us.  Still drinking beer and down 7 lbs. as of this morning.  I did cheat yesterday and had a Jimmy John's sub with their awesome bread.  Made some pancakes this morning using spelt flour.  Not bad, but will take some getting used to.   I haven't tried it yet, but I also picked up some pasta made with brown rice flour.  I also picked up some peanut butter powder.  It's not bad, and way more healthy than normal peanut butter.  It's kind of a journey and I'm learning more as I go.