Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thawing pork shoulder

coastaleggcoastalegg Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is it ok to throw a pork shoulder that's 80% thawed on the smoker. Realize it make take a little longer to smoke but will it be harming quality? Add on question. Wife said she tried thawing by running under cold water for 15 minutes out of the package. Did that induce any bacteria and/or will smoking take care of that?
·

Comments

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Yep, go ahead.  Rub it down just like normal, just know that it is going to take longer than if the meat were at room temp.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,052
    I am not sure, but meat only takes smoke until certain temp.. might take more smoke colder?
    ·
    I am not sure, but meat only takes smoke until certain temp.. might take more smoke colder?
    Your odds of getting a better smoke ring increase when the meat is colder than room temp when you put it on.

@stike can give you all the reasons
    ·
  • coastaleggcoastalegg Posts: 20
    Thx. Think the wife running under water for a bit will hurt? I promptly wrapped and threw in fridge.
    ·
    Thx. Think the wife running under water for a bit will hurt? I promptly wrapped and threw in fridge.
    According how hot she is:)
    ·
  • coastaleggcoastalegg Posts: 20
    Fair to middling Dugan lol.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    I've heard of people cooking them from frozen. Takes a bit longer, but you;ll be fine.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·