Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Revelation - New Eggs Stink?

Options
2»

Comments

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    I was at the Cincinnati Eggfest and didn't notice any off taste with any of the samples, and I had a lot of samples!  I did get a LBGE demo from there and hadn't noticed anything in my first few cooks.  My wife did notice a bit more of a charcoal taste though, but I think that had more to do with me putting food on the Egg too early and before the smoke turned clear.  Could be a less sensitive pallet.
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    I fired that sucker up day 1 and have had no problems. Odd on how so many taste a chemical flavor? Just odd. 
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I never noticed it, but right after I put my egg together and I fired it up and ran it at 325° for several hours with the grate in place but no food in it. I've done a long food free burn in every grill I've ever owned before I cooked in it.
    XL BGE
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    new gaskets give off fumes, i wonder if the lump grate is coated with something so it doesnt rust before use, other than that, new eggers dont allows wait for the lump to burn off the nasties before food goes on
    Now that you say about the gaskets. Look at several Eggs and the gaskets are sometimes a qt.inch inside the edge so that they will burn easy. Could be it? More to the point I think you are correct in not giving the egg a chance to clear the smoke from the lump at lighting.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    Options
    I never noticed anything when I first got mine. I may have been to amped up just from getting the egg.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Maybe the VOCs from the charcoal weren't burned off yet when the food was thrown on....

Just throwing that out there. Never had a problem with any of the food I've had at fests.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings